South Carolina Department of Natural Resources Logo Satellite imagery Data layers graphic Map of South Carolina South Carolina Department of Natural Resources South Carolina Department of Natural Resources

GIS Data

Google Search

Current GIS Data Development & Acquisition

DOQQ Imagery for 2006 - Completed

Image of Land CoverOverview
This is an JFA with USGS to acquire 2006 Digital Orthophoto Quarter Quadrangles (DOQQ) for the state. Due to an early spring, 85% of the imagery was flown during January through March of 2006 with the remaining 15% taken during January through March of 2007. The imagery has been geometrically corrected to meet national standards for spatial data accuracy at a scale of 1:12,000, metadata added, and compressed in the JPEG 2000 file format. It is available for free download through the DNR GIS Data Clearinghouse. Negatives will not be available with this imagery set. A hard copy NAPP Photo can be produced through HAS Images, Inc. Dayton OH, Phone (937) 222-3856.

DNR Project Contact: Jim Scurry
USGS Project Contact: Gary Merrill


High Resolution National Hydrography Dataset for South Carolina - Completed

Image of Land CoverOverview
This is a joint funded project with SC DHEC has been completed for high resolution hydrography data set for South Carolina. NHD data can be viewed on the USGS NHD Viewer web application.

DNR Project Contact: Jim Scurry
DHEC Project Contact: Jeannie Eidson
USGS Project Contact: Gary Merrill


LiDAR Statewide for South Carolina

Image of Land CoverOverview
This is a consortium comprised of numerous State, Federal, County, and Local government entities in South Carolina to acquire statewide LiDAR for South Carolina through monetary contributions and in-kind services. Deliverable products include: LAS point cloud data, ESRI File GeoDatabase with Terrain Surface, Intensity Images, 3-D Hydro Breaklines, and quality assurance report. LAS and image data is divided into 5000' x 5000' tiles to reduce file size. It is available for free download through the DNR ftp site and supporting consortium participants. Additional information and workshop materials are available. View project details.

DNR Project Contact: Jim Scurry
USGS Project Contact: Gary Merrill


National Wetlands Inventory

Image of WetlandOverview
This is a joint project with U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service to complete the wetlands data set for South Carolina. Status of available wetlands digital data can be viewed on the FWS Wetlands Mapper web application.

DNR Project Contact: Jim Scurry
FWS Project Contact: Charlie Storrs


South Carolina Intertidal Oyster Reef Mapping

Image of WetlandOverview
This is a joint project with NOAA to map South Carolina's intertidal oyster resources. The reefs were mapped through a combination of automated and manual techniques using 4-band (blue, green, red, near-infrared ) digital orthophotos with a theoretical ground resolution of 0.25 meters. The project area covered those sections of the SC coastal zone where oysters had historically been mapped by the SC Department of Natural Resources (SCDNR) in the 1980's. The imagery was collected from 2003-2006. This dataset is provisional however, and is undergoing a final QAQC process. Once finalized, the file will be updated as new information is acquired. The data can currently be downloaded from the DNR FTP server and can be accessed through an ArcIMS server application.

DNR Project Contact: Kris Schulte


South Carolina Department of Natural Resources - Phone Numbers | Accessibility | FOIA
Rembert C. Dennis Building, 1000 Assembly Street, Columbia, SC 29201
© 2014 All rights reserved. webmaster@dnr.sc.gov