Discovering our Coastal Treasures
The CCD Program utilizes a 45’ catamaran, the Educational Vessel (E/V) Discovery, and a variety of land based programs to reach hundreds of teachers and students from a variety of backgrounds and locations.
SCDNR staff provided hands-on educational activities to teach students and teachers about the inherent value of South Carolina’s marine ecosystem and resources. Participants assist in data collection and interact with various marine organisms during their visit. With an emphasis on estuarine ecology, students learn to connect local conservation issues to broad science concepts while developing critical science investigation skills. Vessel cruises are tailored to meet the state and national education standards for each visiting group.
Aboard the E/V Discovery, participants will learn about marine, estuarine and salt marsh ecosystems. SCDNR staff will teach about the following topics:
- estuarine and salt marsh ecology
- value of estuarine and salt marsh ecosystems
- biology of animals and plants inhabiting the estuary
- water quality data collection methods and the value of clean water
- identification of birds and other wildlife