New Deer Tag Information
Haven't received tags and need deer tags immediately?
If you have an active Hunting License and Big Game Permit, have just purchased a Hunting License and Big Game Permit, or have just requested or purchased deer tags and want to deer hunt immediately, a temporary set of deer tags can be downloaded and printed by accessing the Customer Privileges Portal on the SCDNR website at https://www2.dnr.sc.gov/ customerprivilegesportal.
These self-printed temporary tags are only valid until your permanent tags arrive in the mail. Any deer that is tagged with temporary tags must be reported to the Customer Privileges Portal on SCDNR website at https://www2.dnr.sc.gov/customerprivilegesportal by midnight of the day of harvest. You will need the deer tag identification number and county of kill as part of the reporting process.
- Deer tags WILL NOT be available over the counter at point of sales vendors (Walmart, Dick’s Sporting Goods, etc.). They will be available over the counter after August 7 at DNR offices located in Charleston, Clemson, Columbia (downtown and Farmer’s Market), Florence, and York. The free set of base tags may be requested after July 1 by phone at 1-803-734-3833 or online at: http://dnr.sc.gov/purchase.html. Tags will not be mailed until early August.
- If you are requesting the free base set of tags and at the same time plan on purchasing additional optional tags you may call 1-866-714-3611 or online at http://dnr.sc.gov/purchase.html.
- Tags are valid for the entire deer season, however, hunters must maintain an active License/Big Game Permit to legally deer hunt.
- The statewide limit on antlered bucks using personal deer tags is 5 for residents and 4 for nonresidents. In each case, 2 of these bucks must have at least 4 points on one antler or a 12-inch inside spread.
- SCDNR regulations will limit usage and number of antlerless deer tags within the Games Zones.
- A total of 4 antlerless deer may be harvested in Game Zone 1.
- In Game Zone 2 a total of 5 antlerless deer maybe be harvested.
- Antlerless limit in Game Zone 3 and 4 is a total of the 8 date specific antlerless tags issued with the Big Game Permit and the number of individual antlerless deer tags the hunter chooses to purchase.
- Daily limit of 2 for antlered bucks or antlerless deer using personal tags for residents and nonresidents.
- There are additional restrictions on tag use and bag limits on Wildlife Management Areas see 2017-18 Regulations Guide for details.
- Deer taken on DNR WMA Lottery Hunts will be tagged by on site DNR staff, hunters will not be required to use their personal tags.
- Deer Processors have always been required to mark carcasses hanging in a cooler with the hunter’s name, address, and hunting license number (SC Code 50-11-1700). With the new tagging program processors may choose to simply leave or replace the tag on the carcass which serves the same purpose.
4 easy steps on how to enter information on the License and deer tags screen
- Type in last name
- Select year of birth
- Choose one identifing number:
- SCDNR Customer number
- Last four numbers of driver license
- Last four numbers of your Social Security Number
- Type number in field
Select the "Begin Search Button."
The resulting screen will show your privileges and what tags you have available. Then select the "Print tags" button.