2014 Photo Contest Rules
South Carolina Wildlife - Hampton Wildlife Fund
Photo Contest Rules
Photographers of all skill levels are welcome to enter the contest. To enter, you must send your entry(s) via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with a JPEG photo file attached. Type "Photo Contest" in the subject line. Resolution/size of the attached image file must be a minimum of 2 megabytes (Mb) and a maximum of 10 megabytes (Mb). All images not meeting these basic requirements will be ineligible for prizes. Prints will not be accepted — only digital images meeting the above requirements. All entries must be received no later than 5:00 PM on February 15, 2014.
- The body of the e-mail submitted with each entry MUST include: the photographer’s name, address, daytime telephone number, e-mail address, photo subject, photo location and which category entered (Youth, Wildlife (except birds), Birds, Outdoor Recreation or Scenics/Landscapes).
- A single e-mail may only have one photo attached; multiple entries (no more than two per photographer) must be attached to separate entry e-mails. An individual photographer may enter a maximum of two photographs in the contest (NOT two per category) and a single photo may only be entered in one category.
- Photos should be cropped to produce an 8x10 (landscape or portrait orientation) print. File format should be .jpg or .JPEG and MUST be at least 2Mb but not more than 10Mb in size/resolution.
- All photos MUST be shot in South Carolina.
- No digital manipulation/editing, except for traditional darkroom-style adjustments such as exposure, contrast, burn or dodge, brightness, shadow/highlights, saturation may be used. Entries exhibiting use of content manipulation, HDR, composite or other kinds of color or images manipulations including, but not limited to, colorizing or use of digital effects or filters such as posterization, will be disqualified.
- At the sole discretion of the contest committee and the judges, images must be tasteful and appropriate for public and family viewing.
- The top one hundred photos (including the winning photos in each category) will be chosen from among the entrants by our panel of judges. Images selected for the exhibition gallery will be printed (8x10) and mounted (11x14) by SCW magazine and displayed at the 2014 Palmetto Sportsmen's Classic at the State Fairgrounds in Columbia. Gallery photos may be picked up after 3:00 p.m. on Sunday, March 30 at the Palmetto Sportsmen’s Classic or by May 31 in the SCW editorial offices — Dennis Building, Room 219, 1000 Assembly Street, Columbia, SC 29201.
- Prints not picked up by May 31, 2014, will be destroyed. Winning photos and ribbons will be mailed to the respective photographers after the Classic.
- Entries not conforming to these rules may be disqualified without further notification.
- Youth (17 years old or younger — any of the subjects listed below)
- Wildlife (includes plants and animals; except birds)
- Outdoor Recreation (people fishing, hunting, hiking, boating, camping, etc.)
- One 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize in each category.
- Two honorable mentions in each category.
- One Harry R.E. Hampton Best of Show Award.
By entering the contest, photographers grant lifetime usage rights of entered images to South Carolina Wildlife magazine, the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources and the Harry Hampton Memorial Wildlife Fund. This agreement does not in any way limit the right of the photographer to print, publish, display or sell the image.
No compensation is offered for any use, publication or reprint of these images by South Carolina Wildlife magazine or the Harry Hampton Fund.
A complete statement of the terms and conditions of this usage agreement will be sent to each contestant via e-mail and must be acknowledged via return e-mail prior to judging.
For more information, contact Joey Frazier, (803) 734-3967, or via e-mail at email@example.com.