Downloadable resources below are in the PDF format.
Teachers On The Estuary (TOTE) Workshops
ACE Basin National Estuarine Research Reserve, McKenzie Field Station
Join education and research staff from the ACE Basin National Estuarine Research Reserve, North Inlet-Winyah Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve, and South Carolina Sea Grant Consortium for this exciting and educational workshop in the beautiful ACE Basin! During the workshop, you will explore salt marsh and estuarine ecosystems, collect and analyze different types of research data, create and deploy weather buoys with real-time data sensors.
- Dormitory lodging at McKenzie Field Station (15717 Bennett's Point Rd. Green Pond, SC 29446)
- All meals (including breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks)
- Onsite transportation -Workshop activities, such a boat trip and field studies
- STEM-based curriculum and tool for the classroom
Requirements for participation:
- Commitment to a three day workshop, plus pre- and post- webinars
- Must be able to tolerate physical activities outdoors (summer temperatures, insects)
(Science, Technology, Engineering, Art & Math)
Workshops are held each summer and designed to capture the science of the salt marsh through art and literature.
Seeds to Shoreline, August 8-9, 2018
From Seeds to Shoreline engages K-12 students and teachers in cultivating and transplanting Spartina alterniflora, the dominant plant in southeastern salt marshes.
- From Seeds to Shoreline Teacher Workshops
- New Teachers (August 8th): Attendance at this training is a prerequisite for participation in the program during the 2018-2019 school year.
- Veteran Teachers (August 9th): This training is for teachers who have participated in the From Seeds to Shoreline program for at least one school year. Attendance is not mandatory but strongly encouraged.
Discovery Cruise for Educators
Welcome Aboard!! Schedule a cruise for your staff today. K-12 teachers are invited to join the CCD Program for an adventure cruise introducing estuaries as living classrooms and laboratories. Participating educators will discuss ways to incorporate estuarine ecology into curriculum and how learning about natural resources meets state and national standards. Opportunities are available for teachers of all subject matter.
Field Experience for Teachers
Get out of the classroom and into the field! SCDNR and the ACE Basin NERR offer a variety of field experience opportunities for k-12 educators teaching in SC's coastal counties. Field Experience for Teachers is based on the national program NOAA Teachers at Sea. Teachers participating in the program are paired with a group of scientist for field excursions ranging from single day trips to week long cruises. Contact MarineEducation@dnr.sc.gov for more information.