DNR News** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
March 16, 2016Deadline Extended: Environmental Awareness Award nominations due May 12
The state of South Carolina is seeking nominations for an award to recognize individuals who are doing extraordinary work for the natural environment. Nominations will be accepted through May 12.
The S.C. Environmental Awareness Award, now in its 21st year, was established by S.C. General Assembly during the 1992 legislative session to recognize outstanding contributions made toward the protection, conservation, and improvement of South Carolina's natural resources.
Each year the public is invited to submit nominations that are then reviewed by an awards committee. In judging nominees, the committee considers excellence in innovation, leadership, and accomplishments that influence positive changes affecting the natural environment.
Members of the awards committee represent the S.C. Forestry Commission, S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control, S.C. Department of Natural Resources and S.C. Sea Grant Consortium.
The 2014 Environmental Awareness Award winner, George W. McDaniel, Ph.D., was honored for his impressive body of work merging environmental conservation and historic preservation which spans many decades. He was the director of Drayton Hall Plantation in Charleston.
Previous winners of the Environmental Awareness Award include:
- 2014 – George W. McDaniel, Ph.D., Director of Drayton Hall Plantation
- 2013 – Joseph R. Hamilton, Founder of the Quality Deer Management Association
- 2012 – Thomas Kester, Chairman and Treasurer for the Conestee Foundation
- 2011 – Dr. Patricia J. DeCoursey, Professor of Biological Sciences at USC
- 2010 – Frank S. Holleman III, President, Naturaland Trust
- 2009 – Dr. Fred Holland, Coastal Ecologist, Charleston
- 2008 – Benjamin Ziegler, Chairman, Pee Dee Land Trust
- 2007 – Dr. Richard Porcher Jr., Professor Emeritus, The Citadel
- 2006 – Rick Huffman, Founder, South Carolina Native Plant Society
- 2004 – John L. Knott Jr., President, Noisette Company, North Charleston
- 2003 – Burris Family, Owners, Cypress Bay Plantation Tree Farm, Beaufort
- 2002 – Dr. Jack Turner, Director, Watershed Ecology Center, Univ. of South Carolina
- 2001 – James D. Elliott, Jr., Founder, South Carolina Center for Birds of Prey
- 2000 – Dr. Dave Hargett, Conservationist, Greenville
- 1999 – Kenneth Strickland, Environmentalist, Florence
- 1998 – Yancey A. McLeod Jr., Environmental Educator, Eastover
- 1997 – Brad Wyche, President, Friends of the Reedy River, Greenville
- 1996 – Beaufort County Clean Water Task Force
- 1995 – Dr. Whitfield Gibbons, Senior Research Ecologist, Savannah River Ecology Laboratory
- 1994 – Marion Burnside, Chairman, SC Department of Natural Resources
- 1993 – Dana Beach, Executive Director, SC Coastal Conservation League
- 1992 – Rudy Mancke, Naturalist, SC Educational Television