South Carolina Environmental Awareness Award
The State of South Carolina is seeking nominations for an award to recognize individuals who are doing extraordinary work for the natural environment. Nominations will be accepted through March 15, 2019.
The S.C. Environmental Awareness, now in its 26th year, was established by S.C. General Assembly during the 1992 legislative session to recognize outstanding contributions made toward the protection, conservation, and improvement of South Carolina’s natural resources.
Each year the public is invited to submit nominations that are then reviewed by an awards committee. In judging nominees, the committee considers excellence in innovation, leadership, and accomplishments that influence positive changes affecting the natural environment.
Members of the awards committee represent the S.C. Forestry Commission, S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control, S.C. Department of Natural Resources and the S.C. Sea Grant Consortium.
The instructions and application form needed to nominate someone for the award can be found on the S.C. Sea Grant Consortium website.
The 2016 Environmental Awareness Award winner, Sean Poppy, was honored for his passionate work in environmental education and natural history interpretation for more than 18 years in South Carolina. Mr. Poppy serves as the Outreach Educator for the Savannah River Ecology Laboratory.
Previous winners of the Environmental Awareness Award include:
- 2016 – Sean Poppy, Outreach Educator, Savannah River Ecology Laboratory
- 2015 – Mark Madden, Environmental Educator, Charleston County PRC
- 2014 – George W. McDaniel, Ph.D., Director of Drayton Hall Plantation
- 2013 – Joseph R. Hamilton, Founder of the Quality Deer Management Association
- 2012 – Thomas Kester, Chairman and Treasurer for the Conestee Foundation
- 2011 – Dr. Patricia J. DeCoursey, Professor of Biological Sciences at USC
- 2010 – Frank S. Holleman, III, President, Naturaland Trust
- 2009 – Dr. Fred Holland, Coastal Ecologist, Charleston
- 2008 – Benjamin Ziegler, Chairman, Pee Dee Land Trust
- 2007 – Dr. Richard Porcher, Jr., Professor Emeritus, The Citadel
- 2006 – Rick Huffman, Founder, South Carolina Native Plant Society
- 2004 – John L. Knott, Jr., President, Noisette Company, North Charleston
- 2003 – Burris Family, Owners, Cypress Bay Plantation Tree Farm, Beaufort
- 2002 – Dr. Jack Turner, Director, Watershed Ecology Center, Univ. of South Carolina
- 2001 – James D. Elliott, Jr., Founder, South Carolina Center for Birds of Prey
- 2000 – Dr. Dave Hargett, Conservationist, Greenville
- 1999 – Kenneth Strickland, Environmentalist, Florence
- 1998 – Yancey A. McLeod, Jr., Environmental Educator, Eastover
- 1997 – Brad Wyche, President, Friends of the Reedy River, Greenville
- 1996 – Beaufort County Clean Water Task Force
- 1995 – Dr. Whitfield Gibbons, Senior Research Ecologist, Savannah River Ecology Laboratory
- 1994 – Marion Burnside, Chairman, S.C. Department of Natural Resources
- 1993 – Dana Beach, Executive Director, SC Coastal Conservation League
- 1992 – Rudy Mancke, Naturalist, SC Educational Television