** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
Dec. 7, 2011
Youth raccoon hunt set Jan. 14 in Bowman
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources, South Carolina State Coon Hunters Association and the Orangeburg Coon Hunters Association will sponsor a youth coon hunt near Bowman in Orangeburg County on Saturday, Jan. 14, 2011. This hunt is part of a youth championship series held in different locations across South Carolina.
For additional information and applications for the Bowman youth raccoon hunt, contact Elliot Shuler at (803) 609-7011 or (843) 825-3388.
Two age groups will be participating in the youth coon hunt, ages 6 to 12 and ages 13 to 17. Each youth is required to bring a guardian, and there is no application fee. Door prizes will be awarded to all participants. The deadline for the bench show is 4 p.m., and the hunt begins at 6 p.m.
All applications must be received before 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2011.
Direction from Bowman:
- Take Hwy. 178 for 1.5 miles.
- Turn Left on Holstein Road (dirt road)
- Proceed approximately 3 miles and follow the signs.
- Trout to be stocked by helicopter in Lower Saluda River
- Youth raccoon hunt set Jan. 14 in Bowman
- 2011 Environmental Awareness award nominations sought
- Youth coon hunt to be held in Georgetown on Saturday, Dec. 10
- Wild and domestic turkeys share little more than genetics
- African Pompano state record broken by Hilton Head angler
- Lowcountry small game hunting opportunities available
- Flood insurance map community meeting set Dec. 14 in Greenville County
- 25th Annual Wild Quail Management Seminar scheduled for March 8-9, 2012
- Late-season migratory bird seasons underway in November
- Wild turkey reproduction remains better this summer
- Free tree stand safety harness for one student attending Nov.-Dec. Hunter Education Classes
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video