** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
Oct. 21, 2011
Youth coon hunt to be held in Edgefield on Saturday, Nov. 5
A youth coon hunt will be held in Edgefield Saturday, Nov. 5, sponsored by the Red Hill Houndsmen Association. The Edgefield youth coon hunt is part of a series of nine youth coon hunts to be held around South Carolina from October to February, sponsored by the S.C. Department of Natural Resources and the S.C. Coon Hunters Association.
For more information on the Edgefield youth coon hunt, contact Wayne Agner at (803) 637-6219.
These youth coon hunts will serve as regional qualifying events for the State Championship Youth Hunt. The youth hunts are designed to teach ethics and sportsmanship through low-intensity competitive events. The top two hunters in each age bracket (6-13 and 14-17) and Sportsmanship winners will qualify for the annual South Carolina Youth Raccoon Hunting Championship at the Webb Wildlife Center in Hampton County, scheduled for Feb. 25, 2012.
These are non-harvest events, and guns will not be allowed. Each potential participant should contact the sponsoring club for information regarding specific hunts. Each applicant is also responsible for bringing a coon dog to the hunt and should be able to tell when his or her dog strikes and trees with minimal help from the adult.
Other upcoming youth coon hunt locations, dates and contacts are:
- Nov. 19, 2011 – Fountain Inn, sponsored by Upper Carolina Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Mike Holcombe at (864) 505-3976. Limited to 24 participants.
- Nov. 26, 2011 – Travelers Rest, sponsored by Greenville County Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Brian Kelly at (864) 752-5301. Limited to 24 participants.
- Dec. 10, 2011 – Georgetown, sponsored by Hell Hole Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Floyd Lambert, at (843) 264-8093. UKC Youth World Qualifier hunt. UKC Rules apply.
- Jan. 14, 2012 – Bowman, sponsored by Orangeburg Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Elliot Shuler at (803) 496-3862. AKC Youth World Qualifier hunt. AKC Rules apply.
- Jan. 28, 2012 – Rock Hill, sponsored by York County Coon Club. Contact: Don Cassidy at (864) 329-0090.
- Feb. 4, 2012 – Ridgeville, sponsored by Summerville Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Ed Kimmons at (843) 873-0279.
- Feb. 11, 2012 – Barnwell, sponsored by Salkehatchie Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Dallas Zorn at (803) 671-2359. Limited to 24 participants.
- Feb. 25, 2012 – State Championship Hunt - Webb Wildlife Center, S.C. Department of Natural Resources.
Contact: Jay Butfiloski or Patty Castine at (803) 734-3609. Hunters must qualify at one of the regional hunts to participate.
All events are free of charge. For more information on the youth coon hunting series, call (803) 734-3609.
- Free tree stand safety harness for one student attending Nov.-Dec. Hunter Education Classes
- Recreational, commercial shrimpers encouraged to report catches of non-native tiger shrimp
- Wild turkey harvest in S.C. increases slightly this spring
- DNR offers guidelines for dealing with bears
- 2010-11 quail season slightly improved from previous year
- DNR Small Game Project ranks top counties for rabbit
- Youth coon hunt to be held in Edgefield on Saturday, Nov. 5
- Recreational fishing for black sea bass closes Oct. 17
- Motorists need to watch for deer on state roads
- Coastal Explorations Series offers fall opportunities in Lowcountry
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video