** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
Oct. 3, 2011
Dixie Hornet Anglers kick off Bass Fishing League season on Lake Secession
The Dixie High School (Due West) Hornet Anglers began the Youth Bass Fishing League Clubs season with a cold snap in the weather on Lake Secession on Sept. 17. The 20 Hornet Anglers caught 50 fish weighing 78.92 pounds and apparently the cooler weather that Saturday didn’t affect the fish bite.
Andrew Mitchell, in the 11-14 age group, caught four fish weighing 5.80 pounds and won the younger group. Second place went to Tristin McClain with three fish weighing 5.78 pounds. In the older group, Kameron Harbin caught five fish weighing 9.01 pounds with second place going to Drew Pearman with five fish weighing 8.87 pounds. Steven Riddle had the big bass weighing in at 3.09 pounds.
Interested in forming a bass fishing club at your school? Perhaps you'll do as well as a two brother team from the Barnwell County Career Center Bass Fishing Club who competed in the 2011 High School Fishing World Finals this past July and came in seventh out of 101 teams from around the United States.
All you need to do is get a minimum of six students (within the 11-18 year old range) with dues paid and you can have a Youth Bass Fishing Club. You'll also need an adult at your school to help lead the club, provide advice and help arrange at least two club tournaments, fundraisers, speakers and other learning sessions pertaining to fishing for club meetings.
The Youth Bass Fishing Clubs is a product of a partnership between the S.C. Department of Natural Resources and The Bass Federation of South Carolina with help and support from parents, teachers, school districts, local bait & tackle shops, community partners and Pure Fishing.
Find out more by contacting Aquatic Education Coordinator Lorianne Riggin at (803) 737-8483 or RigginL@dnr.sc.gov.
- Future management of sheepshead fishery to be discussed at public meeting series
- Feeding, baiting deer in black bear range not wise
- Coastal Explorations Series offers fall opportunities in Lowcountry
- Deer Management meeting set for Oct. 18 in Edgefield
- Abbeville High School Panther Fishing Team conducts inaugural Bass Fishing League tournament
- Dixie Hornet Anglers kick off Bass Fishing League season on Lake Secession
- 2nd Annual Berkley/Sebile Big Bass Lake Murray Challenge on Oct. 22
- 4,011 sea turtle nests observed during 2011 season
- Drought Response Committee maintains all counties as moderate
- DNR conducting study of apprentice hunting licenses
- DNR revises comprehensive deer management recommendations
- Share the spirit of discovery in October during S.C. Archaeology Month
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video