** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
Sept. 12, 2011
DNR, Air Force set youth deer hunt at Poinsett Electronic Combat Range
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) in cooperation with the United States Air Force (USAF) Shaw Air Force Base Asset Management Flight will conduct a special youth deer hunt at the Poinsett Electronic Combat Range in Sumter County. This hunt is scheduled for Saturday, Nov. 5, 2011. Fifteen (15) youth will be selected by random drawing to participate in this special hunt and there is no application fee or hunting license required for those youth 15 and younger. However, a junior hunting license is required for those youth who are 16 and 17.
Immediately after check-in and a brief refresher course on hunter safety, all participants are required to shoot their firearms at the rifle range before going on the hunt. Firearms for this hunt will be restricted to high-powered center fire rifles. Rifles with telescopic sights are recommended.
Hunting will be from elevated stands and a parent or an adult from a cooperating organization will accompany each youth in the deer stand. Before the hunt South Carolina Department of Natural Resources and Shaw Air Force Base Asset Management Flight will provide lunch for the participants.
To be eligible for the special youth deer hunt, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must be between the ages of 12 and 17 inclusive at the time of the hunt.
- Applicants must have a hunter education certificate.
- A parent or legal guardian must provide written permission for their child to participate.
- A parent, or legal guardian or other responsible adult must provide transportation for each youth to and from the event.
For an application, contact DNR at the following numbers: (803) 734-3886 or (803) 734-3898. Applications are also available from the Columbia DNR Office and online. Applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on Oct. 14, 2011.
Please return application and questionnaire to: SCDNR/USAF Youth Deer Hunt, Attn: Willie Simmons, P.O. Box 167, Columbia, SC 29202
- Forecast good for upcoming deer season
- DNR, Air Force set youth deer hunt at Poinsett Electronic Combat Range
- DNR to conduct three youth deer hunts at Belfast Wildlife Management Area
- Prescribed burning in Jocassee Gorges targets ecosystem restoration
- Drought Response Committee designates all counties as moderate
- S.C. Natural Resources Board meets Sept. 16 in Columbia
- Shrimp-baiting season opens Sept. 9 in S.C. waters
- Preserve fall, winter habitat for quail, rabbits
- Still no evidence of chronic wasting disease in South Carolina white-tailed deer
- Jocassee Gorges roads to open Sept. 15
- 23rd Annual Beach Sweep/River Sweep Set for Sept. 17
- DNR and partners to resume wood duck box program
- Upstate mobility impaired deer hunts set for this fall, deadline to apply Sept. 19
- Import of deer, elk parts into S.C. still limited by state regulation
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video