August 27, 2012
DNR courtesy boating inspections set during Labor Day weekend
In an effort to keep state waterways safe during the upcoming Labor Day holiday weekend, the S.C. Department of Natural Resources Law Enforcement Division will again be conducting courtesy safety inspections at some public boat landings.
S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) boating safety and enforcement officers will perform a quick, but thorough, inspection for items such as required safety equipment and proper boat and motor registration. Those who are not in compliance with safety regulations or registration requirements will not be ticketed during the complimentary inspections. Instead, they will be given an opportunity to correct the problem before they launch their boat. DNR officers will also be available to answer questions and give boaters tips on how to stay safe on the water.
To report boating violations such as reckless operation or an intoxicated boat operator, call the DNR toll-free, 24-hour hotline at 1-800-922-5431. For a copy of South Carolina's boating regulations, to find out about local boating safety courses or to obtain a free float plan form contact the DNR Boating Safety Office at 1-800-277-4301.
Courtesy safety inspections at the following locations and times:
- Sept. 1
Conway Marina Landing - Waccamaw River – 10 a.m. to noon - Horry Co.
Pinckney Island Landing (C. C. Haigh, Jr.) - Mackay Creek - 10 a.m. to noon - Beaufort Co.
Wappoo Cut Landing - ICW south of Charleston Harbor - 10 a.m. to noon - Charleston Co.
William Dennis Landing - Cooper River at Tailrace Canal - 10 a.m. to noon - Berkeley Co.
- Sept. 2
Isle of Palms Marina Landing - Morgan Creek - 10 a.m. to noon - Charleston Co.
Lake Wateree Clearwater Cove Landing - 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. – Kershaw Co.
Lake Wylie Buster Boyd Landing – 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. – York Co.
Leeds Avenue Landing (County Farm) - Ashley River - 10 a.m. to noon - Charleston Co.
Little Pee Dee River Galivants Ferry - 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. – Marion Co.
Stokes Bluff Landing - Savannah River - 10 a.m. to noon - Hampton Co.
Wacca Wache Landing - Waccamaw River - 10 a.m. to noon - Georgetown Co.
- DNR courtesy boating inspections set during Labor Day weekend
- Late-season migratory bird regulations set
- DNR & Greenville Co. Clemson Extension Service to host Sept. 1 alligator hunting seminar
- Highlights from the seabird nesting season at DNR bird sanctuaries
- Recreational fishing for black sea bass closes after Labor Day
- Spartanburg Water's annual Lake Sweep set Sept. 22 at Lake Bowen Park
- Coastal archery deer hunt opportunities available
- Hunters must check deer taken on lower state WMA's
- 'Keep Light’s Out for Loggerheads'
- Import of deer, elk parts into S.C. still limited by state regulation
- Deer season forecast good
- Jocassee Gorges roads to open Sept. 14
- 24th Annual Beach Sweep/River Sweep Set for Sept. 15
- Aiken County wildlife area opens to public on Saturdays in September
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video