** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
Dec. 20, 2012
Harry Hampton Fund kicks off Sassafras Mountain tower fund-raiser with $25,000 donation
The Harry Hampton Memorial Wildlife Fund, a nonprofit organization that has raised millions for conservation in South Carolina, recently kick-started the Sassafras Mountain observation tower fund-raising effort with a contribution of $25,000.
“The Hampton Wildlife Fund is proud to kick off fund raising for this unique conservation project,” said Jim Goller, executive director of the Harry Hampton Memorial Wildlife Fund. “We feel it vital to preserve and protect the breathtaking beauty of the highest point in the Palmetto State while helping make it more accessible to not only South Carolinians, but all who visit our state. This unique partnership of public and private entities will help ensure future generations benefit both recreationally and economically. We challenge individuals, businesses and corporations to follow suit with donations.”
The Harry Hampton Memorial Wildlife Fund is a private, nonprofit corporation that partners with the S.C. Department of Natural Resources for the promotion of education, research, management and the administration of game and fish laws, which will benefit conservation of wildlife, marine and other natural resources in South Carolina.
Just a few of the many conservation projects that have been funded by Harry Hampton include the Jocassee Gorges Visitors Center at Keowee-Toxaway State Park, Operation Game Thief and youth fishing rodeos held all around the state.
- Brick at base of Sassafras Mountain observation tower would make unique Christmas gift
- Harry Hampton Fund kicks off Sassafras Mountain tower fundraiser with $25,000 donation
- Clemson University graduate students create new Sassafras Mountain overlook
- National Geographic names Jocassee Gorges one of ‘50 of the World’s Last Great Places’
- State wildlife, fisheries group meets Jan. 8 at Styx Receiving Compound
- Commercial shad fishing season opens two weeks early in Georgetown area
- Upstate mobility impaired deer hunts have another big year in 2012
- New state temperature record set in 2012
- DNR Law Enforcement donates 300 toys to Toys for Tots
- 2012 Environmental Awareness award nominations sought
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video