** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
July 18, 2012
Flood insurance community meeting set Aug. 2 in Florence
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources Flood Mitigation Program will conduct the Preliminary Digital Flood Insurance Rate Map Community Coordination Meeting, as part of the South Carolina Mapping Initiative, Risk MAP, for Florence County and its municipalities’ local officials at 1 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 2 at the Florence County Library, 509 S. Dargan St. in Florence.
The flood insurance information meeting will be followed by an open house, scheduled from 5:30-7:30 p.m., at the same location. The open house allows citizens to determine their level of flood risk and what changes, if any, may apply under the preliminary Flood Insurance Rate Maps, meet with insurance specialists and local officials.
The vision for Risk MAP is to deliver quality data that increases public awareness and leads to action that reduces risk to life and property. Risk MAP builds on flood hazard data and maps produced during the Flood Map Modernization program implemented by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, to update the nation’s Flood Insurance Rate Maps on a countywide basis. The Federal Emergency Management Agency, S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR), and local governments are working together to successfully accomplish the goals of Risk MAP, which is to address gaps in flood hazard data, to promote public awareness and understanding of risks, as well as to plan, lead, and support communities to effectively engage in risk-based mitigation planning.
The community coordination meeting will serve to educate local officials on the Post Preliminary Phase of the Mapping Initiative and their responsibilities in its implementation within their jurisdiction. The Post Preliminary Phase includes the Compliance Period in which localities will be required to review their recently updated flood insurance studies and update their current local flood damage prevention ordinance.
Visit the DNR Flood Mitigation website for more information on the South Carolina Mapping Initiative and Risk MAP in South Carolina: http://www.dnr.sc.gov/water/flood/floodmaps.html or contact the Flood Mitigation Program in West Columbia at (803) 755-9312.
- S.C. Natural Resources Board meets July 25 at Edisto Island State Park
- Fourth round results reported from S.C. Governor’s Cup Billfishing Series
- Drought status maintained for all counties except Barnwell
- South Carolina Conservation Bank Board to meet July 24 in Columbia
- Longleaf pine trees shedding needles is normal this time of year
- DNR to host series of alligator hunting seminars
- SC Drought Response Committee conference call on July 19
- Third Round Results from the SC Governor’s Cup Billfishing Series
- Aug. 10 is deadline to apply for opening day Youth Draw Dove Hunts
- Aug. 10 is deadline to apply for Limited Entry Dove Hunts
- New fishing agreement between Georgia, South Carolina took effect July 1
- DNR courtesy boating inspections continue through July 4 holiday
- State wildlife, fisheries group meets July 11 at Table Rock State Park
- Waterfowl Advisory Committee meets July 10 in Columbia
- New DNR website on in-water sea turtle research activities
- Plant fields now for fall mourning dove hunts
- Video - Drink. Drive. Die?
- DNR continues to add fishing clinics around the state
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video