** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
September 20, 2012
DNR, Air Force set youth deer hunt at Poinsett Electronic Combat Range
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) in cooperation with the United States Air Force (USAF) Shaw Air Force Base Asset Management Flight will conduct a special youth deer hunt at the Poinsett Electronic Combat Range in Sumter County. This hunt is scheduled for Saturday, Nov. 3, 2012. Fifteen (15) youth will be selected by random drawing to participate in this special hunt and there is no application fee or hunting license required for those youth 15 and younger. However, a junior hunting license is required for those youth who are 16 and 17.
Immediately after check-in and a brief refresher course on hunter safety, all participants are required to shoot their firearms at the rifle range before going on the hunt. Firearms for this hunt will be restricted to high-powered center fire rifles. Rifles with telescopic sights are recommended.
Hunting will be from elevated stands and a parent or an adult from a cooperating organization will accompany each youth in the deer stand. Before the hunt South Carolina Department of Natural Resources and Shaw Air Force Base Asset Management Flight will provide lunch for the participants.
To be eligible for the special youth deer hunt, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must be between the ages of 12 and 17 inclusive at the time of the hunt.
- Applicants must have a hunter education certificate.
- A parent or legal guardian must provide written permission for their child to participate.
- A parent, or legal guardian or other responsible adult must provide transportation for each youth to and from the event.
For an application, contact DNR at the following numbers: (803) 734-3886 or (803) 734-3898. Applications are also available from the Columbia DNR office and online. Applications must be received by 5 p.m. on Oct. 12, 2012.
Please return application and questionnaire to: SCDNR/USAF Youth Deer Hunt, Attn: Willie Simmons, P.O. Box 167, Columbia, SC 29202
- DNR needs anglers to contribute to Red Snapper data collection
- Feeding, baiting deer in black bear range not wise
- SC Drought Response Committee conference call on Sept. 27
- DNR hosts Oct. 13 Cheraw youth fishing rodeo, paddle clinic
- Sept. 28 deadline to apply for Manchester State Forest youth deer hunt
- DNR, Air Force set youth deer hunt at Poinsett Electronic Combat Range
- Sept. 28 deadline to apply for Congaree Bluffs youth deer hunt
- Sept. 28 deadline to apply for Belfast WMA youth deer hunt
- Youth Bass Fishing League underway for the season for Dixie Hornet Anglers
- Sassafras Mountain improvement project begins atop roof of South Carolina
- Deadline Oct.15 for wood box applications
- Award presented to U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham for conservation legacy
- 1,827 wood stork nests counted in SC this year
- Oyster, clam season to open Oct. 1
- S.C. Natural Resources Board meets Sept. 21 in Columbia
- Video-Walhalla Fish Hatchery
- DNR to build pistol range at the Spartanburg gun range
- Upstate National Hunting and Fishing Day Sept. 29 at Duke's World of Energy
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video