July 24, 2013
Barnwell County Career Center bests 132 teams to take HS Fishing World Finals Championship
The Barnwell County Career Center High School Bass Fishing Team placed first in the 2013 High School Fishing World Finals Championship on Lake Dardanelle in Russellville, Arkansas on July 18-20. Trevor Jeffers and Hunter Bragg were crowned champions.
The top 21 teams out of 133 teams competing were selected after two days of fishing. The grand champion two-man team was crowned on the final day of fishing with a five fish limit. Trevor and Hunter weighed in 19 pounds, 11 ounces. It wasn't all big fish as that included an eight ounce penalty for one dead fish. The second place team came in just five ounces off the lead.
The Barnwell team changed their pattern on the final day by boldly fishing frogs in lilies all day and it paid off. The team won a $5000 per year scholarship for four years to Bethel University in Kentucky or $1000 for four years to a college of their choice. They also bagged a $500 gift card to Cabela, a 32’ LCD flat screen, an iPod, and an HP Laptop.
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has partnered with The Bass Federation and B.A.S.S to promote middle and high schools forming teams around South Carolina. Contact DNR Aquatic Education Coordinator Lorianne Riggin at (803) 737-8483, RigginL@dnr.sc.gov to find out more about the Bass Fishing Clubs and available tournaments.
Interested in forming a bass fishing club at your school and becoming a part of a Youth Bass Fishing Club? All you need to do is get a minimum of six students (within the 11-18 year old range) with dues paid and you can have a Youth Bass Fishing Club. You'll also need an adult at your school to help lead the bass club, provide advice and help arrange at least two club tournaments, fundraisers, speakers and other learning sessions pertaining to fishing for club meetings.
- Early-season migratory bird seasons approved by S.C. Natural Resources Board
- Feeding summer hummingbirds provides entertainment and beauty
- Dixie HS anglers advance to 2014 B.A.S.S. High School Classic
- New pistol range now open at Belfast WMA
- Barnwell County Career Center bests 132 teams to take HS Fishing World Finals Championship
- Upstate National Hunting and Fishing Day set Sept. 21 at Duke's World of Energy
- Camping ban remains in effect at Eastatoe Creek Heritage Preserve in Jocassee Gorges
- Clemson youth deer hunt registration ends Sept. 16
- DNR acquires 754 acre Vaught Tract in Lewis Ocean Bay
- Register now for Family Fishing Clinics
- 'Come Explore the Outdoors' at Lake Greenwood during Blueway event
- Frequently asked questions about South Carolina hunting, fishing licenses
- Bluefield/Moultrie Hunt Unit youth hunts this fall
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases