** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
June 14, 2013
Dixie HS, Abbeville HS anglers advance to TBF Junior World Championship
The Dixie High School (Due West) Hornet Anglers recently came out on top at the TBF of SC State Youth Championship at Dreher Island State Park on Lake Murray. Two state champions from both age divisions were also crowned and will move on to the Junior World Championship in Louisiana.
Dixie's six man team consisted of Christopher Bensel, Ben Stone, Alex Davenport, Parker Cann, Steven Riddle, and Cody Powell. Dixie had a total weight of 26.75 pounds. Abbeville High finished 2nd with a close 25.47 pounds. North Augusta rounded out the top three with a total weight of 20.09 pounds. There were a total of 21 teams and clubs from around the state that competed with 98 anglers.
Christopher Bensel (Dixie) won the 15-18 year old division with 14.31 pounds, and Colin Slentz (Abbeville High School/Wright Middle School) won the 11-14 year old division with 8.97 pounds. These two anglers will be representing South Carolina in their age divisions in Shreveport, Louisiana for the Junior World Championship which will be held in August during the Forest Wood Cup.
Interested in forming a bass fishing club at your school? All you need to do is get a minimum of six students (within the 11-18 year old range) with dues paid and you can have a Youth Bass Fishing Club. You'll also need an adult at your school to help lead the club, provide advice and help arrange at least two club tournaments, fundraisers, speakers and other learning sessions pertaining to fishing for club meetings. The Youth Bass Fishing Clubs is a product of a partnership between the S.C. Department of Natural Resources, The Bass Federation of South Carolina and B.A.S.S with help and support from parents, teachers, school districts, local bait & tackle shops, community partners and Pure Fishing.
Find out more by contacting DNR Aquatic Education Coordinator Lorianne Riggin at (803) 737-8483 or RigginL@dnr.sc.gov.
- Jocassee Gorges is a prime destination for trout enthusiasts
- National survey will explore dove hunter opinions
- Dixie HS, Abbeville HS anglers advance to TBF Junior World Championship
- June 15 deadline to apply for 2013 public alligator hunting, special WMA season
- State antler records remain at high level this year
- First tagged eel released at St. Stephen collected at Wateree Hydro eel trap May 24
- Benefits of prescribed burning are many, but managers finding it harder to burn
- Greenville businessman named 2012 Environmental Awareness Award
- Clam season closed
- Commercial shrimp trawling season open
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases