Nov. 15, 2013
Redbreast stocked in Little Pee Dee at Galivants Ferry
Approximately 10,000 redbreast sunfish were stocked in the Little Pee Dee River at the Joseph W. Holliday Boat Ramp near Galivants Ferry on Thursday, Nov. 14.
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) used a specially equipped fish-hauling truck to stock 10,000 fingerling redbreast in the Little Pee Dee River. The fish were produced at the Cheraw Fish Hatchery.
The DNR Freshwater Fisheries Section annually stocks from seven to 10 million fish in state waters, including striped and hybrid bass, largemouth and smallmouth bass, channel and blue catfish, bluegill, redbreast, redear sunfish (shellcracker), and rainbow, brook, and brown trout. Anglers in South Carolina spend almost $742 million to fish each year, making the sport, with economic multipliers factored in, a billion dollar business in the Palmetto State.
The redbreast sunfish can be found areas with slow-moving or sluggish water such as pools and backwaters of streams and rivers and upstream reaches of reservoirs. They can be found in areas with woody debris, stumps, undercut banks, shoreline riprap and rocky points. They prefer areas with a sandy bottom and generally avoid areas that are stagnant or heavily vegetated.
- Sibling bear orphans released back into South Carolina mountains
- Channel catfish stocked in Saluda River near Ware Shoals
- Midlands Striper Club donates $7500 to DNR
- The Outdoor Dream Foundation recognizes the T.L. Hanna Fishing Team
- Redbreast stocked in Little Pee Dee at Galivants Ferry
- South Carolina Conservation Bank reviews revenues at recent meeting
- Shrimp-baiting season closed Nov. 12 in S.C. waters
- Dove hunting resumes Nov. 23
- 2013 Environmental Awareness award nominations sought
- Wild turkey reproduction drops significantly this summer
- Smallmouth bass stocked in Lake Jocassee at Devils Fork State Park
- 1,500 bream stocked at Oconee State Park near Walhalla
- Results from 2013 Wood Stork Surveys and Nest Monitoring
- Venison is not only source of toxoplasmosis parasite
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases