Feb. 6, 2014
Register now for Family Fishing Clinic at Dreher Island on March 15
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is conducting a Family Fishing Clinic at Dreher Island State Park on Lake Murray from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, March 15. Make sure to sign up as these clinics fill up quickly.
Dreher Island State Park spans three islands, 348 acres and provides access to 12 miles of Lake Murray shoreline. Visitors will find recreational water activities, nature trails and some of the best striped and large-mouth bass fishing spots, all only 30 miles from Columbia. It has long been a popular location and launching spot for major, national fishing tournaments.
Want to get your line in the water and reel in the big one, but you don't feel confident with your angling skills? Family Fishing Clinics is an introductory class to fishing. The clinics are sponsored by the DNR Aquatic Education Section and are designed to introduce the basics of fishing to the young and old or those who need a refresher to increase their future participation in the sport.
Family Fishing Clinics teach skills on how to tie a fishing knot, rig a rod and reel, and casting. The best part is everyone will get to try their hand at fishing. Family Fishing Clinics are free of charge. Register online or for more information regarding an upcoming Family Fishing Clinic event or to host an event, please contact Lorianne Riggin, firstname.lastname@example.org or (803) 737-8483.
- Archaeological excavations open at Great Pee Dee March 10
- Draft 2014 Aquatic Plant Management Plan available for public review, comment
- Register now for Family Fishing Clinic at Dreher Island on March 15
- DNR employee recognized for Trout in the Classroom efforts
- Conway HS anglers conduct recent successful fishing seminar
- Youth deer hunts held on private areas in the Upstate
- Beneficial controlled burning to take place in Horry County
- DNR honors Cayce man as Certified Fishing Instructor of the Year
- North Island hog hunts with dogs to remove destructive feral hogs
- 'Longleaf 101' offered at Cheraw State Park Feb. 18-20 for landowners, land managers
- 26th Annual Wild Quail Management Seminar scheduled for March 6-7, 2014
- Camp Wildwood of South Carolina open for 2014 registration
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases