June 5, 2014
Youth fishing event to be held June 14 in West Columbia
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR), along with Academy Sports Outdoors and the Harry Hampton Memorial Fund, will host a free youth fishing event Saturday June 14 from 9 a.m. to 12 noon at the Cohen Campbell Fish Hatchery in West Columbia. The event is open to the first 250 children 13 and younger when accompanied by an adult. The facility is located in West Columbia at 2726 Fish Hatchery Road (S-32-103) 1.3 miles west of U.S. Highway 321.
Some bait will be provided. No adult fishing will be allowed. No alcohol or pets. Free refreshments will be provided. Some rods will be available, but participants are encouraged to bring their own.
Pre-registration for the event is required or (803) 755-1822.
The DNR Resources Aquatic Education Section’s mission is to serve as the principal advocate for and steward of South Carolina’s natural resources. We strive to educate the public on recreational fishing techniques, opportunities and angler ethics, as well as provide information to learn about South Carolina’s aquatic ecosystems, how they function and the biology and identification of the species within these ecosystems. Check out some of the fun fishing and learning opportunities we have available.
- Commercial shrimp trawling season opens June 10
- June 15 deadline to apply for 2014 public alligator hunting, special WMA season
- Youth fishing event to be held June 14 in West Columbia
- Feed summer hummingbirds for entertainment, beauty
- Renew your state hunting and fishing license
- DNR survey invites public input to management plan for Pee Dee Scenic Rivers
- SC Envirothon team competition announces 2014 winners
- Increased protection for seabirds at Deveaux Bank Seabird Sanctuary
- Statewide deer harvest increases slightly in 2013
- Feeding, watering manatees is illegal
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases