** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
November 6, 2014Youth coon hunt to be held in Fountain Inn on Saturday, November 15
A youth coon hunt will be held in Fountain Inn on Saturday, Nov. 15, sponsored by the Upper Carolina Coon Hunters Association. It’s part of a series of nine youth coon hunts being held around South Carolina through February 2015, sponsored by the S.C. Department of Natural Resources and the S.C. Coon Hunters Association.
For more information on the Fountain Inn youth coon hunt, contact Mike Holcombe at (864) 505-3976. The night hunt will be held at 6 p.m. and is limited to 24 entries.
These youth coon hunts will serve as regional qualifying events for the State Youth Hunt Championship. The youth hunts are designed to teach ethics and sportsmanship through low-intensity competitive events. The top two hunters in each age bracket (6-12 and 13-17) and Sportsmanship winners will qualify for the annual South Carolina Youth Raccoon Hunting Championship at the Webb Wildlife Center in Hampton County in February 2015.
Youth can hunt in as many youth coon hunts as they want, and all events are free of charge.
These are non-harvest events, and guns will not be allowed. Each potential participant should contact the sponsoring club for information regarding specific hunts. Each applicant is also responsible for bringing a coon dog to the hunt and should be able to tell when his or her dog strikes and trees with minimal help from the adult.
Other youth coon hunt locations, dates and contacts are:
- December 6, 2014 – Georgetown, sponsored by Hell Hole Coon Hunters Association.
Contact: Floyd Lambert, at (843) 264-8093. UKC Youth Hunt.
- December 13, 2014– Heath Springs, sponsored by Lancaster County Coon Hunters Association.
Contact Ross Mullis at (704) 207-6319.
- January 10, 2015 – Bowman, sponsored by Orangeburg County Coon Hunters Association.
Contact: Elliott Shuler at (803) 759-0089. AKC Youth Hunt.
- January 24, 2015 – Norway, sponsored by Norway Coon Hunters Association.
Contact: Mark Whetstone at (803) 682-3011.
- January. 31, 2015 – Ridgeville, sponsored by Summerville Coon Hunters Association.
Contact: Ed Kimmons at (843) 619-5265. Limited to 24 entries.
- February 7, 2015 – Newberry, sponsored by Whitmire Coon Hunters Association.
Contact: Roger Enlow at (864) 923-5431.
- February 2014 – State Championship Hunt, Webb Wildlife Center, Hampton County, S.C. Department of Natural Resources. Date to be announced.
Contact: Jay Butfiloski or Patty Castine at (803) 734-3609.
- New research sheds light on buck movements related to hunting
- Distinctive signs placed on DNR lands managed with prescribed fire
- Wildlife and Fisheries committee to meet November 12 in Columbia
- Youth coon hunt to be held in Fountain Inn on Saturday, Nov. 15
- Feeding, baiting of deer in black bear range not wise
- Youth Family Fishing event to be held Nov. 8 in Socastee
- DNR to co-sponsor Mt. Pleasant youth coastal fishing tournament on Nov. 15
- Wild hog management workshop scheduled for Dec. 11 in Ridgeland
- State Heritage Trust Advisory Board to meet at Lake Wateree State Park on Nov. 6
- Wild turkey reproduction increases slightly this summer
- Youth encouraged to sign up for Nov. 22 Horry Co. dove clinic
- Record high number of stork nests in SC during 2014
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases