** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
October 30, 2014DNR to co-sponsor Mt. Pleasant youth coastal fishing tournament on Nov. 15
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) in conjunction with several coastal partners is sponsoring the 1st Annual Reel 'em In Rodeo Saltwater Fishing Tournament on Saturday, Nov. 15 from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Mount Pleasant Pier, rain or shine. There will be no rain date.
The tournament is open to all kids 16 and under. Each angler must be accompanied by at least one adult. If an adult chooses to fish, their catch cannot be included in the tournament. Adults who choose to fish are fishing for fun only. The tournament is free for all participants. Adult chaperones who may want to fish as well are also covered.
The Mount Pleasant Pier located at 71 Harry Hallman Boulevard Mount Pleasant. The pier, which is managed and operated by the Charleston County Park & Recreation Commission, is part of the Memorial Waterfront Park complex. The 1250-foot long Mount Pleasant Pier stretches out into Charleston Harbor under the foot of the Arthur Ravenel, Jr. Bridge. The Mount Pleasant Pier operates under a blanket license which covers all individuals fishing on the pier so no license is required.
Interested participants are encouraged to re-register online. Pre-registration ends on Nov. 13. However, you do not have to pre-register. You may register the morning of the tournament at the check-in site. All anglers, regardless of when they register, must check in.
DNR has a limited number of loaner rods that can be signed out on the morning of registration at no cost. These rod and reels must be returned to the registration area at the conclusion of the tournament. A driver's license must be provided and will be held until the rod and reel are returned. Tackle and bait will also be provided at no charge. Volunteers will be available to help with everything from rigging up, to removing hooks. For more information on rules check online or contact DNR's Robert Wiggers at WiggersR@DNR.SC.Gov or (843) 953-9363.
DNR especially thanks the generous sponsors of this event: Coastal Angler Magazine, Affinity Charters - Capt. John Ward, South Carolina Aquarium, Haddrell's Point Tackle and Supply, Charleston Angler, Saltfisher Charters, Blackbeard's Cove and West Marine.
- Youth Family Fishing event to be held Nov. 8 in Socastee
- DNR to co-sponsor Mt. Pleasant youth coastal fishing tournament on Nov. 15
- Wild hog management workshop scheduled for Dec. 11 in Ridgeland
- State Heritage Trust Advisory Board to meet at Lake Wateree State Park on Nov. 6
- Wild turkey reproduction increases slightly this summer
- Youth encouraged to sign up for Nov. 22 Horry Co. dove clinic
- Record high number of stork nests in SC during 2014
- Venison is not only source of toxoplasmosis parasite
- 2014 seabird nesting season sees return of pelicans to Bird Key
- Wild turkey harvest in SC decreases this spring
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases