** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
May 1, 2015DNR ends turkey season with youth hunt
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources Take One Make One Program hosted a Turkey Clinic on April 25 in Chesterfield. This being the last Saturday of the season a turkey clinic seemed ideal for those youth who wished to learn how to hunt turkeys.
Twenty-one participated in the event. Each got the opportunity to shoot a shotgun from a turkey blind at a stationary target. Lots of purr and gobbles were heard at the turkey calling station where each participant was given a turkey call donated by Cabela’s of Rock Hill. The highlight of the clinic was “Cooking with Eric and Cleaning with Don” which insured all enjoyed a wild turkey lunch of wild turkey nuggets and turkey tacos. The clinic was sponsored by Carolina One Shot Buck Masters of Chesterfield and introduced students to turkey calling, hunting and preparing blinds, marksmanship skills, as well as game care and prep. The clinic offered many other tips to insure a safe and successful turkey hunt.
For future game clinics check out the DNR Take One Make One Facebook page. Contact Lt. Kim Leverich at LeverichK@dnr.sc.gov if you are interested in getting involved in a TOMO hunt or call 1-800-277-4301.
- DNR hosts inaugural Youth Sporting Clay Open
- 2015 public alligator hunting, special WMA season applications available online
- Laws are strict on taking wild turkey eggs and releasing pen-raised turkeys
- DNR continues access improvements at Woodbury WMA
- Learn and Burn workshop lets landowners see prescribed fire benefits up close
- DNR continues habitat improvement at Marsh WMA
- DNR recognizes hunter education, youth hunt volunteers
- DNR ends turkey season with youth hunt
- Get on course with DNR's new Boating Virtual Trainer
- Aiken County wildlife area opens to the public Saturdays in May
- Duck hunters finish the season on DNR Waterfowl Management Areas
- DNR hosts series of youth fishing rodeos/family fishing clinics around the state
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases