** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
August 24, 2015DNR courtesy boating inspections set during Labor Day weekend
In an effort to keep state waterways safe during the upcoming Labor Day holiday weekend, the S.C. Department of Natural Resources Law Enforcement Division will again be conducting courtesy safety inspections at some public boat landings.
S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) boating safety and enforcement officers will perform a quick, but thorough, inspection for items such as required safety equipment and proper boat and motor registration. Those who are not in compliance with safety regulations or registration requirements will not be ticketed during the complimentary inspections. Instead, they will be given an opportunity to correct the problem before they launch their boat. DNR officers will also be available to answer questions and give boaters tips on how to stay safe on the water.
To report boating violations such as reckless operation or an intoxicated boat operator, call the DNR toll-free, 24-hour hotline at 1-800-922-5431. For a copy of South Carolina's boating regulations, to find out about local boating safety courses or to obtain a free float plan form contact the DNR Boating Safety Office at 1-800-277-4301.
Courtesy safety inspections at the following locations and times:
* Sept. 4
Alex Harvin Boat Ramp - 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. - Clarendon Co.
Easterling Landing - Lake Robinson - 11 a.m. 1 p.m. - Darlington Co.
Lake Murray Dam - 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. - Lexington Co.
* Sept. 6
Bass Pro Shop Landing - Hwy 22 at Hwy 17 on ICW - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Horry Co.
Buck Hall Landing - ICW in Awendaw - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Charleston Co.
Buster Boyd Landing - Lake Wylie - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - York Co.
Cross Island Landing - Broad River - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Beaufort Co.
Cypress Gardens Landing (Dunham Creek) - Dunham Creek - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Berkeley
East Bay Street Park - Sampit River - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Georgetown Co.
Galivants Ferry Landing - Little Pee Dee - 9 a.m. to 11a.m. - Marion Co.
Herbert H. Jessen Landing - Ashley River - 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. - Dorchester Co.
Lake Hartwell - River Forks Boat Ramp - 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. - Anderson Co.
Lake Keowee - Gap Hill - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Pickens Co.
Lake Wateree - Colonel Creek Landing - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Kershaw Co.
Wappo Cut Landing - South of Chas Harbor of ICW - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Charleston Co.
- DNR courtesy boating inspections set during Labor Day weekend
- DNR partners for increased monitoring of South Carolina flounder
- Import of deer, elk parts into SC still limited by state regulation
- Deer hunts for mobility impaired hunters to be held in Upstate; applications due Sept. 14
- Aiken County wildlife area opens to the public Saturdays in September
- 27th Annual Beach Sweep/River Sweep set for Sept. 19
- State antler records down slightly this year
- Liberty Hill Wildlife Management Area (WMA) opening this fall
- Sept. 14 is deadline for DNR's special youth deer hunts in Upstate
- Forty-five fields available for public dove hunting
- Boating safety public meetings to be held around the state
- DNR, U.S. Forest Service to provide special youth dove hunt in Union County
- Veterans encouraged to apply for Jackson deer hunt
- DNR unveils new Spanish language website
- S.C. Prescribed Fire Council annual meeting to be held in Walterboro Sept. 23-24
- Bat surveys taking place across South Carolina
- Two fishing lakes closed for renovation, restock
- Submit a winning "Trashter Piece" and take home an iPad Mini 3
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases