** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
Aug. 4, 2015Veterans encouraged to apply for Jackson deer hunt
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources and Cowden Plantation near Jackson, S.C. are offering their thanks and appreciation to our military (active, retired, reserved, disabled) in memory of Spc. Thomas Caughman by hosting two free deer hunts, Nov. 13, 2015 and Dec 18, 2015.
Successful applicants will have lunch before the hunt as well as the opportunity to tour the Jarrett Rifles Gun Shop and Museum.
For those interested in attending one of the hunts, please fill out an application (PDF file) and send it to Lauren Ann Williams via Fax (803) 734-4491 or email (WilliamsLA@DNR.SC.Gov). The department is accepting the first 20 applications for each hunt until Oct. 17, 2015. Once the application is received you will be sent a confirmation email with further details about the hunt.
Spc. Caughman of Lexington, S.C. was killed in 2004 while serving during Operation Iraqi Freedom when his Humvee was struck by rocket-propelled grenades and small-arms fire in Baghdad.
- Top honors for two SC National Archery in the Schools students
- DNR remembers the fallen: Game Warden Frank Addison Floyd
- DNR offers Aug. 12 Edgefield Co. youth shooting clinic
- All of South Carolina now under drought status
- Apply online for deer lottery hunts until Aug. 21
- Boating safety public meetings to be held around the state
- Bat surveys taking place across South Carolina
- Lights Out For Loggerheads! Sea turtle hatching season officially underway
- Two fishing lakes closed for renovation, restock
- Public invited to Columbia film screening, Q&A on Fort Frederick
- Submit a winning "Trashter Piece" and take home an iPad Mini 3
- Volunteers needed to participate in the Summer Turkey Survey
- DNR hosts series of youth fishing rodeos/family fishing clinics around the state
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases