Mobility Impaired Vehicle Permit
The Mobility Impaired Vehicle Permit (MIVP) allows permanently physically disabled persons enhanced access to selected portions of DNR Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs). MIVP eligibility is restricted to those with a physician's written certification of disability and mobility impairment, and/or official "handicapped" placard displayed on the device. The Mobility Impaired Vehicle Permit is issued for access only for activities that are appropriate uses of SCDNR properties listed in SCDNR Policy# 203.04 (PDF). Appropriate uses are hunting; fishing; wildlife or other natural resource observation; wildlife or other natural resource photography; environmental education; and environmental interpretation. Applicants with temporary disabilities are not eligible for MIVPs.
The MIVP allows:
- The named permit holder and one assistant riding in the same vehicle with the permit holder to operate a vehicle in some WMAs on roads not open to the public.
- The permitted vehicle to be operated only on established, well defined roads specifically identified on the MIVP.
- The permit holder access for the area specific time periods of use and stipulations found in the SCDNR Rules and Regulations for Hunting and Fishing or SCDNR Property Use Regulations Brochure for each WMA accessed.
- The MIVP is valid from the date of approval until the following June 30, and must be in the physical possession of the permit holder when engaged in the permitted activity and must be presented to any law enforcement officer or SCDNR personnel upon request.
The MIVP does not allow:
- Access to WMAs when they are closed due to weather or other emergency closures.
- Hunting or fishing without the required licenses and permits.
- Operation of a vehicle off of the designated road (i.e. not on firebreaks, within wildlife openings, fields or food plots).
- More than one assistant or person in or on the vehicle with the permit holder.
- Vehicles of any type not authorized by the MIVP.
- Parking in a manner that obstructs roads, gates or firebreaks.
- Contact the Regional Wildlife Coordinator for the SCDNR Property you wish to access.
- Complete all information on the Mobility Impaired Vehicle Application (PDF).
- Have a license physician complete the Certification of Disability form (PDF).
- For questions or concerns regarding this application please contact the Deputy Director Office, Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries at 803.734.3889.
- Mail completed application to the Regional Wildlife Coordinator.
- Upon receipt of a completed application and approval, your permit will be mailed to you from the Deputy Director Office, Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries.