The South Carolina State Climatology Office was formally established in 1986 by Chapter 25, Title 49 of the South Carolina Code of laws.
To provide timely, high quality, and pertinent climate data and information to public and private
customers and decision makers in South Carolina.
The South Carolina State Climatology Office strives to acquire, archive, process, and disseminate,
in the most cost-effective way possible, all climate and weather information that is or could be
of value to public officials, corporations, and private citizens in the state. Much of this
information is made available no charge, or for a nominal fee.
- Act as liaison between users of weather and climate information in South Carolina and the
National Climatic Data Center of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
- Maintain a data bank of climatological information.
- Provide data in a form useful to users.
- Refer requests for complex analyses to the appropriate person, agency, or consulting firm.
- Maintain contact with users of climatic information to ascertain their needs for data and
- Maintain contact with researchers to convey the user needs to them and promote applied
- Maintain a bibliography of publications pertinent to the climate of South Carolina.