Deer Tag Information
Nonresident adults receive no free tags with the purchase of their Hunting License/Big Game Permit and must also purchase deer tags in order to deer hunt.
Nonresident deer tags are as follows:
- May purchase up to 4 antlered buck tags.
- 2 unrestricted antlered buck tags.
- 2 antler restriction buck tags: 4 points on one antler or a minimum 12-inch inside spread.
- Cost: $50 for first antlered buck tag- $20 for each additional ($110 for all 4).
- After the purchase of an unrestricted buck tag, there is no particular order in which the buck tags must be purchased or used.
- May purchase up to 4 Individual Antlerless Tags as in the past. Tags are valid on any day beginning September 15 in Game Zones 2, 3, 4 and October 1 in Game Zone 1 until the end of the deer hunting season. Cost for nonresident antlerless tags is now $10 each.
- Nonresident youth: receive base set of tags for free by request like resident youth. May purchase one antler restriction buck tag ($50) and up to 4 Individual Antlerless Tags ($10 each). To request youth tags call
803-734-3833 or go online http://dnr.sc.gov/purchase.html.
- Deer tags WILL NOT be available over the counter at point of sales vendors (Walmart, Dick’s Sporting Goods, etc.). They will be available over the counter beginning July 16 at DNR offices located in Charleston, Clemson, Columbia (downtown and Farmer’s Market), Florence, and York. Tags may be requested after June 15 by phone at 1-866-714-3611 or online at: http://dnr.sc.gov/purchase.html. Tags will be mailed in late July.
- Nonresidents may purchase their License/Big Game Permit over the counter, online, or by telephone. However, deer tags can only be purchased at DNR offices, online, or by telephone. Allow 7-10 days for tags to arrive in the mail for online and telephone purchases.
- Tags are valid for the entire deer season, however, hunters must maintain an active License/Big Game Permit to legally deer hunt.
- The statewide limit on antlered bucks using personal deer tags is 5 for residents and 4 for nonresidents. In each case, 2 of these bucks must have at least 4 points on one antler or a 12-inch inside spread.
- SCDNR regulations will limit usage and number of antlerless deer tags within the Games Zones.
- A total of 4 antlerless deer may be harvested in Game Zone 1.
- In Game Zone 2 a total of 5 antlerless deer maybe be harvested.
- Antlerless limit in Game Zone 3 and 4 is a total of the 8 date specific antlerless tags issued with the Big Game Permit and the number of individual antlerless deer tags the hunter chooses to purchase.
- Daily limit of 2 for antlered bucks or antlerless deer using personal tags for residents and nonresidents.
- There are additional restrictions on tag use and bag limits on Wildlife Management Areas see 2018-19 Regulations Guide for details.
- Deer taken on DNR WMA Lottery Hunts will be tagged by on site DNR staff, hunters will not be required to use their personal tags.
- Tag must remain attached until the deer/carcass is quartered or received by a processor.
- Deer Processors have always been required to mark carcasses hanging in a cooler with the hunter’s name, address, and hunting license number (SC Code 50-11-1700). With the new tagging program processors may choose to simply leave or replace the tag on the carcass which serves the same purpose.