New Deer Tag Information
Nonresident adults receive no free tags with the purchase of their Hunting License/Big Game Permit and must also purchase deer tags in order to deer hunt.
Nonresident deer tags are as follows:
- May purchase up to 4 antlered buck tags.
- 2 unrestricted antlered buck tags.
- 2 antler restriction buck tags: 4 points on one antler or a minimum 12-inch inside spread.
- Cost: $50 for first antlered buck tag- $20 for each additional ($110 for all 4).
- After the purchase of an unrestricted buck tag, there is no particular order in which the buck tags must be purchased or used.
- May purchase up to 4 Individual Antlerless Tags as in the past. Tags are valid on any day beginning September 15 in Game Zones 2, 3, 4 and October 1 in Game Zone 1 until the end of the deer hunting season. Cost for nonresident antlerless tags is now $10 each.
- Non-resident youth: receive base set of tags for free by request like resident youth. May purchase one antler restriction buck tag ($50) and up to 4 Individual Antlerless Tags ($10 each). To request youth tags call
803-734-3833 or go online http://dnr.sc.gov/purchase.html.
- Deer tags WILL NOT be available over the counter at point of sales vendors (Walmart, Dick’s Sporting Goods, etc.). They will be available over the counter after August 7 at DNR offices located in Charleston, Clemson, Columbia (downtown and Farmer’s Market), Florence, and York. Tags may be requested after July 1 by phone at 1-866-714-3611 or online at: http://dnr.sc.gov/purchase.html. Tags will not be mailed until early August.
- Non-residents may purchase their License/Big Game Permit over the counter, online, or by telephone. However, deer tags can only be purchased at DNR offices, online, or by telephone. Allow 7-10 days for tags to arrive in the mail for online and telephone purchases.
- Tags are valid for the entire deer season, however, hunters must maintain an active License/Big Game Permit to legally deer hunt.
- The statewide limit on antlered bucks using personal deer tags is 5 for residents and 4 for nonresidents. In each case, 2 of these bucks must have at least 4 points on one antler or a 12-inch inside spread.
- SCDNR regulations will limit usage and number of antlerless deer tags within the Games Zones.
- A total of 4 antlerless deer may be harvested in Game Zone 1.
- In Game Zone 2 a total of 5 antlerless deer maybe be harvested.
- Antlerless limit in Game Zone 3 and 4 is a total of the 8 date specific antlerless tags issued with the Big Game Permit and the number of individual antlerless deer tags the hunter chooses to purchase.
- Daily limit of 2 for antlered bucks or antlerless deer using personal tags for residents and nonresidents.
- There are additional restrictions on tag use and bag limits on Wildlife Management Areas see 2017-18 Regulations Guide for details.
- Deer taken on DNR WMA Lottery Hunts will be tagged by on site DNR staff, hunters will not be required to use their personal tags.
- Deer Processors have always been required to mark carcasses hanging in a cooler with the hunter’s name, address, and hunting license number (SC Code 50-11-1700). With the new tagging program processors may choose to simply leave or replace the tag on the carcass which serves the same purpose.