Tagging Guidelines and Instructions for Deer
ALL DEER MUST BE TAGGED immediately after harvest before moving from the point of kill.
- Do not remove tag until ready to use.
- Use of another person's tag(s) is prohibited.
- Cut or mark out with a pen the month, day, and WMA notches on the tag prior to tagging.
- Remove tag from backing and wrap through the hamstring as shown, pressing adhesive sides evenly & tightly together leaving the entire face of the tag exposed and all of the adhesive ends attached firmly together.
- Tag must remain attached until the deer/carcass is quartered or received by a processor.
- Tags DO NOT alter daily or seasonal bag limits or use of weapons during special seasons.
- Tags are not valid for quota deer on properties enrolled in the Deer Quota Program (DQP).
- Tags are valid for the entire season, however, hunters must maintain an active License & Big Game Permit to legally deer hunt.
- Tags must be in possession while hunting.
- An antlered deer is defined as a deer with antlers 2 inches or more above the hairline.
- The optional individual (purchased) antlerless deer tags are NOT VALID for use on Francis Marion National Forest WMAs during Deer Dog Drive Hunts.
- All antlerless deer must be tagged with either a Date Specific Antlerless Deer Tag or an optional Individual Antlerless Deer Tag, these tags MAY NOT BE USED PRIOR TO September 15.
- Check the DNR Hunting Regulations Guide for other information and restrictions.
- For full text of laws & regulations related to deer tagging refer to SC Code of Laws 50-11-315, 50-11-320, 50-11-335, 50-11-390, 50-11-400, 50-11-410 and SC Code of Regulations 123-52.
Resident archery hunters may use any of their date specific antlerless tags to take antlerless deer on any day during ARCHERY ONLY or PRIMITIVE WEAPONS ONLY SEASONS beginning September 15. This dual purpose tag is only valid on private land in Game Zones 1 & 2 and on certain WMAs statewide. The Archery Use exception allows these tags to be used only during Archery Only & Primitive Weapons Seasons. This use of these tags is NOT VALID on private lands in Game Zones 3 or 4 because those areas do not have Archery Only or Primitive Weapons seasons that occur on or after September 15. Certain WMAs statewide do have Archery Only &/or Primitive Weapons seasons on or after September 15 and these tags may be utilized on those areas. To be valid the archery notation box, actual harvest date & game zone must be marked on the tag. Once used for this purpose these tags are no longer available for use later in the season on the designated date.
Measurement Procedures & Standards for Antlered Deer
For the 2 Optional Antler Restriction Tags a deer must have a minimum of 4 points on one antler OR a minimum 12” inside antler spread.
- A point is defined as a projection that is at least one inch long. Points are measured starting at base where it arises from the top of the beam or another point. (Fig. 1)
- Inside antler spread is measured at a right angle (perpendicular) to the center line of the skull at its widest point between the main beams. (Fig. 2)