** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
October 24, 2014Youth coon hunt to be held in Edgefield on Saturday, Nov. 1
A youth coon hunt will be held in Edgefield Saturday, Nov. 1, sponsored by the Red Hill Houndsmen Association. It’s part of a series of nine youth coon hunts being held around South Carolina through February 2015, sponsored by the S.C. Department of Natural Resources and the S.C. Coon Hunters Association.
For more information on the Edgefield youth coon hunt, contact Wayne Agner at (803) 637-6219.
These youth coon hunts will serve as regional qualifying events for the State Youth Hunt Championship. The youth hunts are designed to teach ethics and sportsmanship through low-intensity competitive events. The top two hunters in each age bracket (6-12 and 13-17) and Sportsmanship winners will qualify for the annual South Carolina Youth Raccoon Hunting Championship at the Webb Wildlife Center in Hampton County in February 2015.
Youth can hunt in as many youth coon hunts as they want, and all events are free of charge.
These are non-harvest events, and guns will not be allowed. Each potential participant should contact the sponsoring club for information regarding specific hunts. Each applicant is also responsible for bringing a coon dog to the hunt and should be able to tell when his or her dog strikes and trees with minimal help from the adult.
Other youth coon hunt locations, dates and contacts are:
* Nov. 15 – Fountain Inn, sponsored by Upper Carolina Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Mike Holcombe at (864) 505-3976. Limited to 24 entries.
* Dec. 6 – Georgetown, sponsored by Hell Hole Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Floyd Lambert, at (843) 264-8093. UKC Youth Hunt.
* Dec. 13 – Heath Springs, sponsored by Lancaster County Coon Hunters Association. Contact Ross Mullis at (704) 207-6319.
* Jan. 10, 2015 – Bowman, sponsored by Orangeburg County Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Elliott Shuler at (803) 759-0089. AKC Youth Hunt.
* Jan. 24, 2015 – Norway, sponsored by Norway Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Mark Whetstone at (803) 682-3011.
* Jan. 31, 2015 – Ridgeville, sponsored by Summerville Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Ed Kimmons at (843) 619-5265. Limited to 24 entries.
* Feb. 7, 2015 – Newberry, sponsored by Whitmire Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Roger Enlow at (864) 923-5431.
* February 2014 – State Championship Hunt, Webb Wildlife Center, Hampton County, S.C. Department of Natural Resources. Date to be announced. Contact: Jay Butfiloski or Patty Castine at (803) 734-3609. Hunters must qualify at one of the regional hunts to participate.
For more information on the youth coon hunting series, call (803) 734-3609.
- Wild turkey reproduction increases slightly this summer
- Youth encouraged to sign up for Nov. 4 Horry Co. dove clinic
- Record high number of stork nests in SC during 2014
- South Carolina Conservation Bank Board to meet Nov. 5 in Orangeburg
- Youth coon hunt to be held in Edgefield on Saturday, Nov. 1
- Venison is not only source of toxoplasmosis parasite
- 2014 seabird nesting season sees return of pelicans to Bird Key
- Wild turkey harvest in SC decreases this spring
- Hunters must check deer taken on lower state WMAs
- Shooting sports offered to interested SC schools
- Preserve fall, winter habitat for quail, rabbits
- Waterfowl hunt application process is now open
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases