Wildlife - Species
Species Specific Regulations
Doves - Common Ground Dove
Protected non-game: May not be harvested.
Common Ground Dove (Columbina passerina)
- Sexes similar
- Small, chunky dove
- Black-tipped orange bill
- Gray-brown back and upperwings
- Scaly appearance to breast and head
- Black spotting on wing coverts
- Cinnamon inner webs of primaries visible in flight and occasionally at rest
- Cinnamon wing linings
- Short tail is slightly rounded at tip
- Tail is brown centrally, with black edges and white corners
Length: 5.5 inches; approximate weight is between 2 to 4 ounces.
Their range is throughout coastal plain – most common in outer coastal plain. Rarely in Piedmont. Feeds on grass seed and waste grain.
Publications and Literature
Doves of South Carolina - Identification and Status. (Adobe PDF) Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division. Columbia, South Carolina
Some of the files above are provided in the Adobe® Acrobat® (PDF) format. Adobe® Reader® is required to open these files and is available as a free download from the Adobe® Web site.
P.O. Box 167
Columbia, SC 29202-0167