Hunt S.A.F.E. to Prevent Firearm Accidents
Proper firearm storage is the number one way to prevent firearm accidents. With this in mind SCDNR is working with Project ChildSafe to remind hunters this season that "The Hunt Isn't Over Until Firearms are S.A.F.E. and Secure."
S.A.F.E. stands for Secure your firearms when not in use; Be Aware of those around you who should not have unauthorized access to firearms; Focus on your responsibility as a firearm owner and Educate yourself and others about safe firearm handling and storage.
During hunting season, many firearms are in use and in transport, and we urge hunters to remember what they can do to prevent firearm accidents in the field, at the range, at home and everywhere in between.
Along with SC's hunter safety programs and resources on proper firearm storage and safety, Project ChildSafe has made several resources available, which can be found on and the Project ChildSafe website, including:
- Quiz asking "Do you know the Facts of Firearms Safety?"
- Checklist on safe hunting for families
- Ethical Hunter Brochure by the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF)
- Tips and Guidelines on safe firearm handling
- Infographic on "Gun Storage For Your Lifestyle"
- Video on "How To Talk To Your Kids About Gun Safety"
- Information on where to find and get a free firearm safety kit in your community
We want to ensure that everyone gets to enjoy hunting season for future generations to come. Be sure to check out the resources listed above and share these with your friends and families, so we can all continue to have a safe hunting season.