DNR News** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
2016 S.C. Environmental Awareness Award Call for Nominations October 20, 2017
The State of South Carolina is seeking nominations for an award to recognize individuals who are doing extraordinary work for the natural environment. Nominations will be accepted through January 19, 2018.
The S.C. Environmental Awareness, now in its 24th year, was established by S.C. General Assembly during the 1992 legislative session to recognize outstanding contributions made toward the protection, conservation, and improvement of South Carolinas natural resources.
Each year the public is invited to submit nominations that are then reviewed by an awards committee. In judging nominees, the committee considers excellence in innovation, leadership, and accomplishments that influence positive changes affecting the natural environment.
Members of the awards committee represent the S.C. Forestry Commission, S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control, S.C. Department of Natural Resources, and S.C. Sea Grant Consortium.
The 2015 Environmental Awareness Award winner, Mark Madden, was honored for his passionate work in environmental education and natural history interpretation for almost 30 years in South Carolina. Mr. Madden is the interpretation and stewardship manager for the Charleston County Park & Recreation Commission in Charleston, SC.
Previous winners of the Environmental Awareness Award include:
- 2015 Mark Madden, Environmental Educator, Charleston County PRC
- 2014 George W. McDaniel, Ph.D., Director of Drayton Hall Plantation
- 2013 Joseph R. Hamilton, Founder of the Quality Deer Management Association
- 2012 Thomas Kester, Chairman and Treasurer for the Conestee Foundation
- 2011 Dr. Patricia J. DeCoursey, Professor of Biological Sciences at USC
- 2010 Frank S. Holleman, III, President, Naturaland Trust
- 2009 Dr. Fred Holland, Coastal Ecologist, Charleston
- 2008 Benjamin Ziegler, Chairman, Pee Dee Land Trust
- 2007 Dr. Richard Porcher, Jr., Professor Emeritus, The Citadel
- 2006 Rick Huffman, Founder, South Carolina Native Plant Society
- 2004 John L. Knott, Jr., President, Noisette Company, North Charleston
- 2003 Burris Family, Owners, Cypress Bay Plantation Tree Farm, Beaufort
- 2002 Dr. Jack Turner, Director, Watershed Ecology Center, Univ. of South Carolina
- 2001 James D. Elliott, Jr., Founder, South Carolina Center for Birds of Prey
- 2000 Dr. Dave Hargett, Conservationist, Greenville
- 1999 Kenneth Strickland, Environmentalist, Florence
- 1998 Yancey A. McLeod, Jr., Environmental Educator, Eastover
- 1997 Brad Wyche, President, Friends of the Reedy River, Greenville
- 1996 Beaufort County Clean Water Task Force
- 1995 Dr. Whitfield Gibbons, Senior Research Ecologist, Savannah River Ecology Laboratory
- 1994 Marion Burnside, Chairman, SC Department of Natural Resources
|Coastal, Midlands||David Lucas||843-610-0096|
|Upstate, Midlands||Greg Lucas||864-380-5201|
After Hours Radio Room - 803-955-4000