** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
August 13, 2015Youth dove hunt to be held Sept. 5 in Abbeville County
A youth dove hunt, sponsored by S.C. Department of Natural Resources and U.S. Forest Service, is scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 5 at the U.S. Forest
Service Power of Partnerships Dove Field in Abbeville County.
The field is at the end of Bass Road, which is about 5 miles east of Abbeville on SC Highway 72. Pre-registration is NOT required, and the field will be open for the youth hunt from noon until 6 p.m. For more information, visit https://www.dnr.sc.gov/hunting/youthhunting/specifichuntcriteria.html or call the S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Abbeville Field Office at (864) 223-2731.
Eligibility for the hunt requires adults 21 years or older to bring one or two youths 17 years of age and younger. The following regulations also apply on Special Youth Dove Hunts:
- Adults accompanying youth are NOT allowed to shoot at any time during Special Youth Dove Hunts.
- Adults accompanying youth do NOT have to be licensed or posses a Wildlife Management Area (WMA) permit.
- Adults must remain in the field and closely supervise participating youth at all times.
- In parties of one adult and two youths, only one youth hunter may be handling a loaded firearm at any given time.
- Bag limit is 15 birds per youth participant. Birds harvested by individual hunters must be kept separate, and in no instance may an individual hunter harvest more than 15 birds.
Youth under 16 years of age do not have to be licensed or possess a WMA permit. Youth 16 or 17 years old must have a Junior Sportsman License or an Apprentice License and possess a free Migratory Bird Permit (HIP).
- Forty-five fields available for public dove hunting
- Boating safety public meetings to be held around the state
- DNR, U.S. Forest Service to provide special youth dove hunt in Union County
- Veterans encouraged to apply for Jackson deer hunt
- DNR unveils new Spanish language website
- Feral swine interfere with prescribed burning
- State wildlife, fisheries group meets Aug. 18 in Columbia
- S.C. Prescribed Fire Council annual meeting to be held in Walterboro Sept. 23-24
- DNR remembers the fallen: Game Warden Frank Addison Floyd
- Apply online for deer lottery hunts until Aug. 21
- Bat surveys taking place across South Carolina
- Two fishing lakes closed for renovation, restock
- Submit a winning "Trashter Piece" and take home an iPad Mini 3
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases