** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
July 24, 2015DNR remembers the fallen: Game Warden Frank Addison Floyd
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) formally dedicated a memorial plaque at the foot of the gravesite of Game Warden Frank Addison Floyd on July 23 near Tillman, South Carolina. Taps was played as officers in green saluted their fallen comrade while an American flag was given to family members.
Game Warden Floyd had twenty years experience as a game protector and served as a game warden in Colleton County. He was a law enforcement officer with DNR (then known as the South Carolina Wildlife Resources Department) for seven years from 1942 to 1949.
On Monday July 25, 1949, Floyd, a fellow officer and a plantation manager were at Cherokee Plantation near Walterboro investigating an individual suspected of nighttime deer hunting. As they were approaching the group of hunters, one produced a double barrel shotgun. Warden Floyd called to the suspect, "I am a state game warden; drop that gun," the suspect opened fire with a double-barreled shotgun loaded with buckshot. Warden Floyd was hit in the chest at close range with one barrel, his fellow officer immediately returned fire and injured the suspect, who then fled, but was shortly afterwards found and brought to justice. Warden Floyd was rushed to the Colleton County Hospital. At the age of forty, Officer Floyd lost his life from the injuries he had incurred in the line of duty, leaving his wife and his daughter.
The suspect recovered from his wound, pleaded guilty and was sentenced to life in prison.
- All of South Carolina now under drought status
- Apply online for deer lottery hunts until Aug. 21
- Boating safety public meetings to be held around the state
- Bat surveys taking place across South Carolina
- Lights Out For Loggerheads! Sea turtle hatching season officially underway
- Two fishing lakes closed for renovation, restock
- Public invited to Columbia film screening, Q&A on Fort Frederick
- Submit a winning "Trashter Piece" and take home an iPad Mini 3
- DNR recognizes 2014 Employee of the Year
- Volunteers needed to participate in the Summer Turkey Survey
- DNR hosts series of youth fishing rodeos/family fishing clinics around the state
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases