** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
April 17, 2015Get on course with DNR's new Boating Virtual Trainer
The next time you're at an outdoor event, make sure to keep an eye out for the new Boating Skills Virtual Trainer. The trainer is a partnership between the S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and Pioneer Boats and it makes learning basic boating skills easier than ever.
With the assistance of Pioneer Boats, DNR was able to place three 32 inch screens on an actual center console boat, mounted insider a trailer, for a virtual boating experience like none other in the United States. Steering, throttle and other controls are exactly like those found on a real boat.
The instructor has the ability to tailor the student's experience by adjusting everything from wind and current strength to even day/night scenarios. The simulator offers several learning platforms through which students they can learn about docking, mooring, pivot turns and more on a virtual waterway free from the hazards that can occur on the water.
- Get on course with DNR's new Boating Virtual Trainer
- DNR's Marine Resources thanks volunteers during National Volunteer Week
- Aquatic Plant Management Council meets April 22 in Columbia
- Aiken County wildlife area opens to the public Saturdays in May
- Thermal thinning and pruning with prescribed fire benefits longleaf pine stands
- Youth Sporting Clay Open to be held in Edgefield on April 18
- FLW College Fishing National Championship Expo weigh-in April 18 in Columbia
- Growing-season burns a natural ecological process in South Carolina
- Duck hunters finish the season on DNR Waterfowl Management Areas
- DNR to host youth turkey clinic April 25 in Chesterfield Co.
- DNR hosts series of youth fishing rodeos/family fishing clinics around the state
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases