** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
Aug. 7, 2015S.C. Prescribed Fire Council annual meeting to be held in Walterboro Sept. 23-24
The South Carolina Prescribed Fire Council will hold its annual meeting Sept. 23-24 in Walterboro.
The annual meeting will be a day-and-a-half workshop. The first day will be an early afternoon joint field tour hosted by the S.C. Prescribed Fire Council and the SoloACE Longleaf Partnership at Clarendon Farms Plantation in Beaufort. Plantation Manager Jason Hewett will discuss the property’s management objectives, prescribed fire use and marketing of longleaf pine. Folk Land Management will conduct a drone demonstration. The first day will conclude with a social at the Colleton Museum and Farmers Market in Walterboro.
The second day of the annual meeting will be held at the Colleton Center in Walterboro starting around 9 a.m. This will be a classroom format, and lunch will be served. Topics will include: Effects of Growing Season Burns on Wildlife, Air Quality, Ozone Standards, Weather and Spot Forecast, Prescribed Burning Teams and other general updates.
The full agenda will be available online. Registration is now open. Individuals can register for Day 1 ($25: limited space), Day 2 ($40) or both days ($65). Thanks to our sponsors, we are able to offer a reduced rate for landowners to attend. For reduced rates or questions, please contact Derrick Phinney at firstname.lastname@example.org or 843-563-0135 x 3.
Current sponsors for the annual meeting are the SoLoACE Longleaf Partnership, S.C. Tree Farm Committee, S.C. Farm Bureau and Harry Hampton Memorial Wildlife Fund.
The S.C. Prescribed Fire Council promotes prescribed burning by informing the public about the important role prescribed fire plays in the stewardship of our natural resources, and by fostering professionalism among practitioners of prescribed burning.
- Forty-five fields available for public dove hunting
- Boating safety public meetings to be held around the state
- DNR, U.S. Forest Service to provide special youth dove hunt in Union County
- Veterans encouraged to apply for Jackson deer hunt
- DNR unveils new Spanish language website
- Feral swine interfere with prescribed burning
- State wildlife, fisheries group meets Aug. 18 in Columbia
- S.C. Prescribed Fire Council annual meeting to be held in Walterboro Sept. 23-24
- DNR remembers the fallen: Game Warden Frank Addison Floyd
- Apply online for deer lottery hunts until Aug. 21
- Bat surveys taking place across South Carolina
- Two fishing lakes closed for renovation, restock
- Submit a winning "Trashter Piece" and take home an iPad Mini 3
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases