SCDNR Board Meeting Minutes
1000 Assembly Street
The regular meeting of the Board of the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources was held at 10:00 am, February 20, 2020, in room 335 of the Rembert C. Dennis Building, 1000 Assembly Street, Columbia, SC. Notice of the date, time and place of the meeting was posted and mailed to the news media. Chairman Norman Pulliam presided at the meeting. Board members present included Mike Hutchins, Carlisle Oxner, Jake Rasor, Jr. and Duane Swygert. Board member Hinson participated by conference call. Board member Hartley’s absence was excused. Director Boyles and staff members of the Department of Natural Resources were present at the meeting.
Chairman Norman Pulliam called the meeting to order and welcomed everyone to the meeting.
Rev. Eric Skidmore, SC Law Enforcement Assistance Program, offered the invocation.
Vice Chairman Hutchins led the group in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Chairman Pulliam congratulated Director Boyles for the unanimous confirmation of his appointment as Director.
Chairman Pulliam noted that he has been receiving positive comments from legislators about Board members attending subcommittee and committee meetings.
CPT Robert McCullough, Director, Office of Media and Outreach, reported that there are no guests..
CPT McCullough stated there were no requests for constituent comments.
Chairman Pulliam asked if there were any additions, deletions or corrections to the January 16, 2020 meeting minutes. Mr. Hutchins made a motion that the Board approve the minutes of the January 16, 2020 meeting as presented. Mr. Swygert seconded the motion and the motion carried unanimously.
- Director Boyles congratulated Chairman Norman Pulliam who will receive the Tommy Wyche Award for the Conservationist of the Year at Upstate Forever’s Forever Green Awards Luncheon
- Director Boyles commended Hope Mizzell and staff of the SC Climate Office of the Land, Water & Conservation Division for their hosting of the Southeast U.S. Drought Monitor Workshop.
- Director Boyles commended Tyler Brown and staff of the Land, Water and Conservation Division for their hard work in coordination of the SC Association of Conservation Districts Partnership Annual Conference on Feb. 17-29 at the Marriott in Charleston.
- Director Boyles commended Emily Cope and Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries staff who coordinated the annual Wildlife Technicians Meeting on Feb. 18-20 at the Webb Center. Director Boyles attended on Feb. 19 and was there for the presentation of the Wildlife Technician of the Year award to Michael Chapman
- Director Boyles commended Mark Litz, Director of Information Technology of the Division of Administration who received a two-year appointment to the Department of Administration’s (DOA) Agency Technical Committee.
- Director Boyles commended Emily Cope, Deputy Director of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries on her invitation to serve on a panel to discuss the merits/benefits of state employment by the State Office of Human Resources.
- Director Boyles commended Shannon Bobertz, General Counsel, upon her selection for the Riley Institute at Furman University Diversity Leadership Institute.
- Director Boyles commended Mike Denson of Marine Resources who received the Distinguished Service Award from the US Chapter of the World Aquaculture Society.
- Director Boyles commended Aaron Watson of Marine Resources who began his tenure as the Vice President of the US Chapter of the World Aquaculture Society.
- Director Boyles commended the SCDNR Board, Eva Smith, Shannon Bobertz, and Kevin Ryan for their support and hard work during the transition and confirmation process.
Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries
Mr. Hutchins reported the Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Advisory Committee met February 18 at Wateree Range. The Advisory Committee received a report on the conditions and infrastructure needs of the 18 State Lakes managed by the Department. The Advisory Committee received a presentation on the National Bobwhite Conservation Initiative. The Advisory Committee received the results of the 2019/2020 waterfowl season. A motion was made, seconded and passed to exclude Samworth and Wateree WMAs from the Category 1 lottery hunts for the 2020/2021 duck season for improvements to be made to the properties.
- Climate Update
Hope Mizzell, Land, Water and Conservation Division, reported on the February severe weather event. Dr. Mizzell reported on the drought conditions, rainfall totals, precipitation percentiles, streamflows, lake levels, ground-water monitoring wells around the state, precipitation forecast and temperature forecast.
- Dewees Island Conservation Easement
This item was deferred to Executive Session.
- Conservation Easement at Patriots Point
This item was deferred to Executive Session.
Director Boyles reminded Board Members that their Statement of Economic Interests reports are due by March 30, 2020.
Director Boyles attended the House Ways and Means Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice Subcommittee meeting for the DNR Budget Hearing.
Director Boyles reminded the Board that the legislative reception will be held March 3.
Kevin Ryan, Director of Government Affairs, reported on S1068 and its companion bill H5135 – Waterfowl Stamp Program Sunset, and S474 – Catch and Size Limits for Spadefish. Mr. Ryan noted that the House will be taking up the budget the week of February 10.
Nothing further to report.
- Land, Water and Conservation
Ken Rentiers, Deputy Director for Land, Water and Conservation gave a brief update on water planning.
- Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries
Emily Cope, Deputy Director for Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries, gave a brief update on waterfowl season.
- Law Enforcement
COL Chisolm Frampton, Deputy Director for Law Enforcement, informed the Board that officers were on site to assist with the Faye Marie Setlik case. COL Frampton reported that the new class of officers are in week 7 of 12.
Nothing further to report.
- Support Services
Angie Cassella, Deputy Director for Support Services, showed the original 2020 duck print and posters..
Mr. Rasor made a motion that the Board go into Executive Session pursuant to S.C. Code Section 30-4-70(A)(1) and (A)(2) to discuss appointments to advisory boards related to Items for Board Action (A, B) and to discuss contractual matters related to Item for Board Action (C), and to receive legal advice related to items B and C under Items for Board Information. Mr. Hutchins seconded the motion and the motion carried unanimously.
Mr. Rasor made a motion that the Board return to open session, noting that no action was taken during executive session. Mr. Swygert seconded the motion and the motion carried unanimously.
- Governor’s Cup Advisory Board Appointments
Mr. Rasor made a motion that the Board, upon the recommendation of the Governor’s Cup Billfishing Series Advisory Board, approve the following appointments/reappointment to the Governor’s Cup Billfishing Series Advisory Board with terms as listed: Mr. Fred Bergen, Seabrook Island, second term, 1/01/2020 – 12/31/2022; Mrs. Holly McAlhany, Mt. Pleasant, first term, 1/01/2020 – 12/31/2022; Mr. Tim Gredick, Mt. Pleasant, first term, 1/01/2020 – 12/31/2022; and Mr. Billy Gressette, Ladson, first term, 1/01/2020 – 12/31/2022. Mr. Oxner seconded the motion and the motion carried unanimously.
- Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Advisory Committee Appointment
Mr. Hutchins made a motion that Board appoint Mr. Will Shirley of Spartanburg, SC, to serve a four-year term on the Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Advisory Committee beginning March 2, 2020, as recommended and presented by staff. Mr. Rasor seconded the motion and the motion carried unanimously.
- Potential Property Acquisition in Georgetown County
Mr. Oxner made a motion that the Board grant preliminary approval to evaluate a potential property acquisition of approximately 1,964 acres west of Santee Delta WMA in Georgetown County as recommended and presented by staff. Mr. Swygert seconded the motion and the motion carried unanimously..
The March meeting will be held Friday, March 27, 2020, at Seawell’s in conjunction with the Palmetto Sportsmen’s Classic.
Mr. Hutchins made a motion that the meeting be adjourned. Mr. Rasor seconded the motion and the motion carried unanimously.
The SCDNR Board Minutes for February 20, 2020 (PDF) have been provided in the Adobe PDF file format. Adobe® Reader® is required to open the above file and is available as a free download from the Adobe® Web site.