SCDNR>Boating>Titling And Registration>

Boating - Title and Register a Watercraft or Outboard Motor in SC

Purchased Out of State from a Titling State

If you purchased a watercraft and/or outboard motor from another titling state it must be titled and/or registered in your name with SCDNR. You will need to submit the following:

  1. Watercraft/Outboard Motor Application (completed and signed)
  2. Original Title(s) (completed, signed, and notorized if required)
  3. Written Bill of Sale (if there is an outboard motor)
  4. Pencil tracing (if traceable), or printed photograph of:
    • Hull Identification Number (Boat)
    • Serial Number (Motor)
  5. Registration Card for the Boat (if available)
  6. Fees

Note: If you purchased a boat or motor from out of state and it has previously been titled or registered in SC, you must pay property taxes to your county before titling/registering with SCDNR. You can look up any boat or motor under SC Boat Facts to determine whether or not it has been titled or registered in SC.

Effective January 1, 2020 your watercraft registration will be valid for one year from the date you purchased the boat. The fee will be $10.00 per year for an annual registration. In 2021, the $10.00 renewal fee will be included with your county property tax notice. SCDNR will send renewal notices for tax exempt boats.

Watercraft/Outboard Motor Application
(completed and signed)
  • Completed and Signed by the owner. Notarized if required.
  • The original title/titles are required if you purchase a boat/motor from a titling state. If the title has a place for a notary's signature then it must be notarized. Copies will not be accepted.
  • If the boat/motor is titled in “and” all owner's listed must sign. If the boat/motor is titled as “or” then either owner may sign.
  • The bill of sale should contain a description of the watercraft and/or outboard motor. It should be dated, signed by the seller, and contain a purchase price.
  • The registration card is provided by the titling state. It contains the information about the owner and the watercraft.
  • Note: this card is required to be carried on the watercraft during operation.
  • You need to send printed pictures or pencil tracings of the Hull Identification Number for the Boat and the Serial Number for the motor with the other documents.
  • Make sure the picture or pencil tracing is legible. If the quality of the picture or pencil tracing is not good and you can visually make out the numbers you may write them in under the picture for clarification.

Make checks payable to SCDNR. Do not mail cash.


  • New SC Watercraft Title & Registration ($20) if you have purchased a boat
  • New SC Outboard Motor Title ($10) if you have purchased a motor

Late Fees: 

  • If it has been more than 30 days since you bought the boat/motor $15
  • If it has been more than 60 days since you bought the boat/motor $30

Casual Excise Tax:

Casual excise tax is charged upon the issuance of a title or proof of ownership for a boat or motor. The casual excise tax for a boat or boat and motor purchased as a package is 5% of purchase price with a maximum fee of $500.00. The casual excise tax for a motor purchased alone is 5% of purchase price with a maximum tax of $500.00.

  • Boat and Motor or Boat Only:  Purchase Price X .05, the maximum tax is $500
  • Motor Only: Purchase Price X .05, the maximum tax is $500.

If you did not pay taxes out-of-state, then you submit 5% tax or maximum tax of $500 with the registration fee. If you paid a portion of the taxes, you are only required to pay the remainder, up to 5% or $500.

Tax Exempt if Purchased from Immediate Family
If you acquire the watercraft or outboard motor from immediate family, you are exempt from the excise tax. Immediate family includes:

  • parent
  • child
  • sister
  • brother
  • grandparent
  • grandchild
  • spouse.

You must complete the exempt form on the back of the Watercraft/Outboard Motor Application to be exempt.

Military persons are not exempt from Casual Excise or Use Tax on boats and Outboard Motors.

Casual Excise tax can also be paid to the S.C. Department of Revenue Tax Service Centers.

Note that if you have an outboard motor of less than 5 horsepower, or if it is an inboard motor (an engine that is enclosed within the hull of the boat), then you DO NOT need to title it.

If you purchased a brand new boat or motor from an out of state marine dealer you must include the original Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO). The MSO must be filled out and notarized if required.

Ready to send it all in?

After all of the paperwork is complete, you will need to mail all of the original documents to SCDNR. Please verify all documents are properly signed and make photocopies to keep for your records. Incomplete paperwork will be returned.

Mail documents here:

Attn. Titling & Registration
P.O. Box 167
Columbia, SC 29202

If you have submitted everything correctly, you will receive the following documents from SCDNR:

  • SC Titles (will be sent to the lienholder if there is a lien)
  • Outboard Motor Decal (if you purchased a motor)
  • SC Registration Card and Watercraft Decals