Deer Tag Information
Lifetime and Senior/Gratis/Disability Licensees
Lifetime and Senior/Gratis/Disability Licensees must request the free base set of tags annually. See “Important Information” below for how to request tags. (Note: Lifetime Licensees that live out-of-state should call SCDNR licensing at 803-734-3833 after June 15.)
The base set of tags consist of the following:
- 3 unrestricted antlered buck tags.
- 2 antlerless deer tags that may be used on ANY DAY beginning September 15 in Game Zones 2, 3 or 4; and beginning October 1 in Game Zone 1.
Additional deer tag purchases
- Lifetime and Senior/Gratis/Disability Licensees may purchase 2 additional antler restriction buck tags for $5 each. The restriction is the buck must have 4 points on one antler or a minimum 12-inch inside spread. There is no particular order in which the antelered buck tags must be used.
- As in the past, all residents may purchase up to 4 individual antlerless tags for $5 each. Tags are valid on any day beginning September 15 in Game Zones 2, 3, 4 and October 1 in Game Zone 1 until the end of the deer hunting season. Hunters who purchase all 4 optional antlerless tags will receive 2 free bonus tags that are valid for antlerless deer on private land only in Game Zones 3 and 4 to help control deer damage to agriculture.
- Deer tags WILL NOT be available over the counter at point of sales vendors (Walmart, Dick’s Sporting Goods, etc.). They will be available over the counter beginning July 15 at SCDNR offices located in Charleston, Clemson, Columbia (Farmer’s Market), Florence, and York. The free set of base tags may be requested after June 15 by phone at 1-803-734-3833 or online at: https://www.dnr.sc.gov/purchase.html. Tags will be mailed beginning in late July.
- If you are requesting the free base set of tags and at the same time plan on purchasing additional optional tags you may call 1-866-714-3611 or online at https://www.dnr.sc.gov/purchase.html.
- Tags are valid for the entire deer season, however, hunters must maintain an active License/Big Game Permit to legally deer hunt.