Deer Tag Information
Nonresident adults receive no free tags with the purchase of their Hunting License/Big Game Permit and must also purchase deer tags in order to deer hunt.
Nonresident deer tags are as follows:
- May purchase up to 4 antlered buck tags.
- 2 unrestricted antlered buck tags.
- 2 antler restriction buck tags: 4 points on one antler or a minimum 12-inch inside spread.
- Cost: $50 for first antlered buck tag- $20 for each additional ($110 for all 4).
- After the purchase of an unrestricted buck tag, there is no particular order in which the buck tags must be purchased or used.
- May purchase up to 4 Individual Antlerless Tags as in the past. Tags are valid on any day beginning September 15 in Game Zones 2, 3, 4 and October 1 in Game Zone 1 until the end of the deer hunting season. Cost for nonresident antlerless tags is now $10 each. Hunters who purchase all 4 optional antlerless tags will receive 2 free bonus tags that are valid for antlerless deer on private land only in Game Zones 3 and 4 to help control deer damage to agriculture.
- Nonresident youth: receive base set of tags for free by request like resident youth. May purchase one antler restriction buck tag ($50) and up to 4 Individual Antlerless Tags ($10 each). To request youth tags call
803-734-3833 or go online https://www.dnr.sc.gov/purchase.html.
- Deer tags WILL NOT be available over the counter at point of sales vendors (Walmart, Dick’s Sporting Goods, etc.). They will be available over the counter beginning July 16 at SCDNR offices located in Charleston, Clemson, Columbia (Farmer’s Market), Florence, and York. Tags may be requested after June 15 by phone at 1-866-714-3611 or online at: https://www.dnr.sc.gov/purchase.html. Tags will be mailed in late July.
- Nonresidents may purchase their License/Big Game Permit over the counter, online, or by telephone. However, deer tags can only be purchased at SCDNR offices, online, or by telephone. Allow 7-10 days for tags to arrive in the mail for online and telephone purchases.
- Tags are valid for the entire deer season, however, hunters must maintain an active License/Big Game Permit to legally deer hunt.