Deer Tag Information
When residents purchase a Hunting License and Big Game Permit OR if they currently have just purchased an active Hunting License and Big Game Permit that will be valid when deer season begins on August 15 they will automatically receive a base set of deer tags at no cost prior to deer season.
The base set of tags consist of the following:
- 3 unrestricted antlered buck tags.
- 2 antlerless deer tags that may be used on ANY DAY beginning September 15 in Game Zones 2, 3 or 4; and beginning October 1 in Game Zone 1.
Residents - additional deer tag purchases
- Residents may purchase 2 additional antler restriction buck tags for $5 each. The restriction is the buck must have 4 points on one antler or a minimum 12-inch inside spread. There is no particular order in which the antlered buck tags must be used.
- As in the past, all residents may purchase up to 4 individual antlerless tags for $5 each. Tags are valid on any day beginning September 15 in Game Zones 2, 3, 4 and October 1 in Game Zone 1 until the end of the deer hunting season. Hunters who purchase all 4 optional antlerless tags will receive 2 free bonus tags that are valid for antlerless deer on private land only in Game Zones 3 and 4 to help control deer damage to agriculture.
- Deer tags WILL NOT be available over the counter at point of sales vendors (Walmart, Dick’s Sporting Goods, etc.). They will be available over the counter beginning July 16 at SCDNR offices located in Charleston, Clemson, Columbia (Farmer’s Market), Florence, and York. Tags may be requested after June 15 by phone at 1-866-714-3611 or online at: https://www.dnr.sc.gov/purchase.html. Tags will be mailed in late July.
- Resident hunters who have an active License/Big Game Permit when deer season begins will automatically receive their base set of tags in late July. Residents whose License/Big Game Permit expires before deer season begins should renew their License/Big Game permit at least 7-10 days prior to deer hunting so their deer tags can arrive in the mail.
- Tags are valid for the entire deer season, however, hunters must maintain an active License/Big Game Permit to legally deer hunt.