Deer Tag Information
Youth hunters under the license age of 16 years old must request the free base set of tags annually. See “Important Information” below for how to request tags.
The base set of tags consist of the following:
- 3 unrestricted antlered buck tags.
- 2 antlerless deer tags that may be used on ANY DAY beginning September 15 in Game Zones 2, 3 or 4; and beginning October 1 in Game Zone 1.
Youth Residents - additional deer tag purchases
- Residents youth hunters may purchase 2 additional antler restriction buck tags for $5 each. The restriction is the buck must have 4 points on one antler or a minimum 12-inch inside spread. There is no particular order in which the antlered buck tags must be used.
- As in the past, all residents, including youth, may purchase up to 4 individual antlerless tags for $5 each. Tags are valid on any day beginning September 15 in Game Zones 2, 3, 4 and October 1 in Game Zone 1 until the end of the deer hunting season. Hunters who purchase all 4 optional antlerless tags will receive 2 free bonus tags that are valid for antlerless deer on private land only in Game Zones 3 and 4 to help control deer damage to agriculture.
Youth Nonresidents- additional deer tag purchases
Nonresident youth: receive base set of tags for free by request like resident youth. May purchase one antler restriction buck tag ($50) and up to 4 Individual Antlerless Tags ($10 each). To request free tags call 803-734-3833 or go online to https://www.dnr.sc.gov/purchase.html
- Deer tags WILL NOT be available over the counter at point of sales vendors (Walmart, Dick’s Sporting Goods, etc.). They will be available over the counter after August 7 at SCDNR offices located in Charleston, Clemson, Columbia (Farmer’s Market), Florence, and York. Tags may be purchased after July 15 by phone at 1-866-714-3611 or online at: https://www.dnr.sc.gov/purchase.html. If only requesting the free base set of tags call 803-734-3833 or go online to https://www.dnr.sc.gov/purchase.html. Tags will not be mailed until early August.