Academic Archer Criteria
The National Archery in the Schools Program establishes NASP® Academic Archer program to promote and recognize academic excellence among 2.4 million NASP® student archers – Now sponsored by Easton Technical Products!
The NASP® Academic Archer program is an optional program, available only to participating NASP® schools – participation is a local decision and in accordance with existing local school policies.
NASP® BAI certified teachers/coaches can enter eligible students into nasptournaments.org for Academic Archer status using their BAI number.
All students that fully participate in an in-school NASP® archery class or participate on the school archery team at a recognized NASP® school and meet local academic criteria for recognition, are eligible to be entered for Academic Archer status.
The NASP® advisory offered the following guidelines if no local school criteria exist for Academic Archer recognition:
- The Student should be/have been a full participant in their school's "in-school" NASP® archery class during the time period where academic recognition and recommendation is considered.
- Academic Archers can also be members of the school archery team (if one exists) during the time period where academic recognition and recommendation is considered.
- The Student should have no D's or F's (or equivalent), in order to qualify as a NASP® Academic Archer.
- The designated Academic Archer should maintain a grade point average that establishes them well within existing school GPA criteria for high academic scholarship.
- When no school academic recognition criteria exists, the local NASP® coach should consult and collaborate with the school principal to establish such criteria, before designating students with Academic Archer status.
The Academic Archer program is independent from any/all forms of tournament participation.
Each student that is entered/registered into nasptournaments.org as a NASP® Academic Archer, will be automatically registered for a chance to win 1 of 10 free Genesis bows and specially marked Easton arrows - which will be given away each year by NASP®. Names of winners will be announced prior to the national NASP® tournament.
Each Academic Archer may be provided with a certificate suitable for framing at the local NASP® banquet or school sponsored student academic recognition ceremony according to local practices.
NASP® teachers/coaches can also designate eligible students for Academic Archer status when utilizing nasptournaments.org for any NASP® tournament – See nasptournaments.org for instructions regarding designating for NASP® Academic Archer status when registering.
The NASP® advisory also suggested that an optional recognition symbol be established for participating NASP® Academic Archers. NASP® and our partner Electronic Awards have developed a low cost, iron-on shoulder patch that can be purchased by any school. To order the iron-on shoulder patches click here: https://www.naspschools.org/gear/ordering
Patches are inexpensive and can be purchased in bulk for team applications.
Reminder – all decisions on designating students with Academic Archer status are local decisions and should involve collaboration between the NASP® educator and the principal of the school.
Without existing school criteria, NASP® recommends that schools follow the recommendations of the NASP® advisory.
National NASP® will support any/all local NASP® Academic Archer status designations and will recognize NASP® Academic Archer designees as a group at each flight of the NASP® National Tournament.
NASP® will promote the Academic Archer program on the naspschools.org web site, social media and industry media outlets.