** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
January 5, 2015Youth coon hunt to be held in Bowman on Saturday, Jan. 10
A youth coon hunt will be held in Bowman on Saturday, Jan. 10, sponsored by the Orangeburg County Coon Hunters Association. It's part of a series of nine youth coon hunts being held around South Carolina through February, sponsored by the S.C. Department of Natural Resources and the S.C. Coon Hunters Association.
For more information on the Bowman youth coon hunt, contact Elliott Shuler at (803) 759-0089 or Doug Shuler at (803) 682-0418. The Bowman event will be an AKC Youth Hunt.
These youth coon hunts will serve as regional qualifying events for the State Youth Hunt Championship. The youth hunts are designed to teach ethics and sportsmanship through low-intensity competitive events. The top two hunters in each age bracket (6-12 and 13-17) and Sportsmanship winners will qualify for the annual South Carolina Youth Raccoon Hunting Championship at the Webb Wildlife Center in Hampton County in February 2015.
Youth can hunt in as many youth coon hunts as they want, and all events are free of charge.
These are non-harvest events, and guns will not be allowed. Each potential participant should contact the sponsoring club for information regarding specific hunts. Each applicant is also responsible for bringing a coon dog to the hunt and should be able to tell when his or her dog strikes and trees with minimal help from the adult.
Other youth coon hunt locations, dates and contacts are:
* Jan. 24 – Norway, sponsored by Norway Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Mark Whetstone at (803) 682-3011.
* Jan. 31 – Ridgeville, sponsored by Summerville Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Ed Kimmons at (843) 619-5265. Limited to 24 entries.
* Feb. 7 – Newberry, sponsored by Whitmire Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Roger Enlow at (864) 923-5431.
* February 2015 – State Championship Hunt, Webb Wildlife Center, Hampton County, S.C. Department of Natural Resources. Date to be announced. Contact: Jay Butfiloski or Patty Castine at (803) 734-3609. Hunters must qualify at one of the regional hunts to participate. For more information on the youth coon hunting series, call (803) 734-3609.
- DNR now issuing 365 day licenses
- Visiting boaters to SC waters reminded of numerous pumpout stations along the coast
- 2015 South Carolina Wildlife-Hampton Wildlife Fund annual outdoor photo contest deadline approaching
- Youth coon hunt to be held in Bowman on Saturday, Jan. 10
- Jan. 31 outdoor expo to benefit Conway area youth fishing clubs
- Prescribed burns restore habitat, improve safety on heritage preserves
- After the holidays, let Christmas trees benefit fish and wildlife
- Many animal species benefit from snags, so leave some standing dead trees
- Fort Frederick Heritage Preserve Friday tours from Jan. 16-Feb. 6
- DNR awards scholarships for youth skeet, trap event
- Trout stocked by helicopter on the Lower Saluda
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases