To Report a Dead
or Injured Sea Turtle
Call 1-800-922-5431

Lights Out Bumper Sticker
SC Sea Turtle License Plate

Translocation Study

Tagging LoggerheadThirty-three Caretta caretta were intercepted on the nesting beach prior to oviposition during 1985, 1986, and 1989. Each turtle was transported 60 km, fitted with radio transmitters, and released. Six turtles provided no useful data due to transmitter failure or detachment. Thus, 27 turtles provided information on the response of loggerheads to translocation. Of these 27 turtles, 17 (63%) returned to the home area and 6 (22%) were in route when contact was lost. A total of 23 of 27 turtles (85%) that were translocated showed evidence of a strong tendency to return to a home or primary beach. Four (15%) showed no movement towards home.