Skip Navigation

Life's Better
South Carolina Department
of Natural Resources

If you are seeing this, then your internet browser is Microsoft Internet Explorer and you are running in Compatibility mode. You will not be able to view the application with this browser and these settings.

Please remove "SC.GOV" from your compatibility view listings using your settings in the Internet Explorer options.

Boating - Title and Register a Watercraft or Outboard Motor in SC

South Carolina Law requires the following to have current title and registration:

Property Taxes

If you have purchased a boat or motor that has been titled and/or registered in SC you must first go to your county and pay property taxes in your name for the coming year. You must submit a paid property tax receipt in your name or notice from the county that no taxes are due along with your application and other documents. Contact your county tax office with any questions you have about property taxes.

If you have purchased a boat or motor from out of state or from a SCDNR Permitted Marine Dealer, property taxes will be billed by your county after being titled and/or registered with SCDNR.

By law we must have a completed application and other required documents to title and register your boat and/or motor. Select your situation below to help guide you through the application process. Incomplete applications missing any required documents will be returned to you.

Please see Frequently Asked Questions for additional information on boat titling and registration.

Got a question? Contact the SCDNR Boating Section at 803-734-3447.